Solved

Children and sleeper services Salzburg - Zagreb - on payment page it says ''not all be kept in same compartment''

Hello,

I’m looking to book tickets in a 3-person sleeper compartment on the overnight service from Salzburg to Zagreb on July 11. 

Our family is me, my girlfriend and our daugher, 4. 

On the OBB website, I select the triple, 3-bed compartment. The price is around €258. When I go to pay I get a warning that we will not be all kept in the same compartment, which rather defeats the object of paying extra for a 3-berth room. 

I understand that a man and a woman travelling together but in a 3-berth compartment would be split up according to their sex. But I don’t follow the logic in our case. Three people, three beds. The only explanation I can think of is either (a) they only have a few spaces left and we have to be split up individually across compartments (b) or they don’t consider my daughter old enough to warrant her own bed. 

I think the latter is more likely. So my question is: has anyone had a similar experience and what is the best solution for guaranteeing that we are all together in one 3-bed compartment and that she has her own bed?

Thanks,
Chris

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 6 June 2022, 00:06

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

On the OBB website, I select the triple, 3-bed compartment. The price is around €258. When I go to pay I get a warning that we will not be all kept in the same compartment, which rather defeats the object of paying extra for a 3-berth room. 

I understand that a man and a woman travelling together but in a 3-berth compartment would be split up according to their sex. But I don’t follow the logic in our case. Three people, three beds. The only explanation I can think of is either (a) they only have a few spaces left and we have to be split up individually across compartments (b) or they don’t consider my daughter old enough to warrant her own bed.

If you book multiple people, then ÖBB tries to book you into the same compartment. If that's not possible, then you'll see this warning.
However, if you book a 4-year old child, then ÖBB seems to assume the child will share a bed with one of the adults and the child will travel free of charge. So, if you want the 4-year old to have their own bed, then book 2 adults and a 6-year old, because then the child will have their own bed and you should be able to book a complete T3 compartment.

The price should be max. 3 x 54 = 162€ by the way, which is the price of 3 adult reservations in T3.

However, if I enter 2 adults and a 6-year old, then the price is 161€, which is a bit strange, and I still see the warning about being distributed over different compartments, which I don't see with 3 adults.

I suggest to call ÖBB: +43 5 1717 to book.

Thanks for your response, Railly Clever! 

This is my first time buying an Interrail pass, so maybe I’ve confused the whole “booking a seat reservation” with buying a full-priced ticket? Is that right?