Solved

Choosing the right train station in Paris, London, Brussels.

I am trying to make reservations for the pass I just bought. I’m noticing that there’s no direct trains from central Paris (Montparnasse) to central London (Waterloo or close to London Bridge). Will I need to book from Paris Du Nord (default) to London St Pancras (default) instead of the ones I mentioned above and from St Pancras to Brussels Midi instead of Brussels Central and then get a taxi? When I pick the station I actually want, it increases travel time by a lot more than a few minutes it would take to travel between those stations. Not sure what the best option is. thank you.

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 29 June 2023, 03:11

View original

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Unlike most cities that have one or two major stations both London and Paris were developed with numerous terminus stations in a ring around the centre of their cities.

As such long distance trains generally only serve one depending on where they are coming from.

The Paris - London service runs from Gare Du Nord to St Pancras. to get to other stations requires taking local transport of some kind.

Paris Metro line 4 links Montparnasse to Nord, Metro is not included in Eurail

London St Pancras and London Bridge are on the Thameslink rail service which is included in your pass. St Pancras to Waterloo would be quickest by London Underground which is not included.

Thanks so much. How can I tell what is and is not included and how do I book it? I just booked a reservation from Gare Du Nord to St Pancras. Do I book a separate reservation from St. Pancras to the London Bridge? I’m also traveling from the hotel by the London Bridge to Brussels Central Station. It shows that the first stop is Brussels Midi and if I want to go to the Central Station there’s a 7 min transfer for a 4 min ride to the Central Station. Is it possible to do the transfer this quickly with children and luggage? Is the train usually nearby and easy to find? What if we miss the transfer, would I be able to get on the next train and if so how, would I need to make a new reservation?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

How can I tell what is and is not included and how do I book it? I just booked a reservation from Gare Du Nord to St Pancras. Do I book a separate reservation from St. Pancras to the London Bridge?

No, that's local train and reservations are not possible. Just board and find a seat.

I’m also traveling from the hotel by the London Bridge to Brussels Central Station. It shows that the first stop is Brussels Midi and if I want to go to the Central Station there’s a 7 min transfer for a 4 min ride to the Central Station. Is it possible to do the transfer this quickly with children and luggage?

There are trains to the central station every few minutes, so no reason to stress.

Is the train usually nearby and easy to find? What if we miss the transfer, would I be able to get on the next train and if so how, would I need to make a new reservation?

Check the the NMBS/SNCB app for the platform number. No reservations needed for these trains. Domestic trains in Belgium don't have reservations.

Do the local trains in London between London Bridge and St. Pancras travel quiet often? Could you point me to the timetable?

For Brussels, the local train between Midi and Centraal, I don’t need a reservation either? How about from Centraal to Nord in Brussels?

I’m then going from Brussels to Cologne for a few hours and then to Munich. I’m having trouble finding the right station in Brussels. When I put in “Brussel” it gives me 10 different stations, how do I know which one to pick? Also, I find in some cases I can just put in the name of a city, since I don’t know which station to pick and in others, like in Brussels, it won’t let me just put in “Brussels”? What am I doing wrong in my search?

We’re also traveling from Munich to Colmar. There’s two train changes. The first change in Stuttgart is only 9 min. How can I make sure we can make it on time and what should we do if we miss the change? Would I need to make another reservation for the following train?

There are 4 of us traveling (2 adults, 2 children) with luggage, in cases when it’s not required to purchase a seat from Brussels to Cologne, Cologne to Munich is it better to reserve a seat? Is it possible that there are no seats and we will have to stand with our luggage?

When you purchase seats do you get specific seats assigned?

Sorry for so many questions. I appreciate your thorough answers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Do the local trains in London between London Bridge and St. Pancras travel quiet often? Could you point me to the timetable?

Thameslink is quite frequent. Check timetables on www.nationalrail.co.uk. It's the direct services taking about 14 minutes. The underground also does this direct and these are also in the results, but via another line in about 20 minutes but the pass is not valid.

For Brussels, the local train between Midi and Centraal, I don’t need a reservation either? How about from Centraal to Nord in Brussels?

Like I said: no reservations on any domestic service in Belgium. Reservations are simply not possible, so just board and find a seat.

I’m then going from Brussels to Cologne for a few hours and then to Munich. I’m having trouble finding the right station in Brussels. When I put in “Brussel” it gives me 10 different stations, how do I know which one to pick?

There are more than 30 stations in Brussels (not all of them with “Brussel” in their names though). The ICEs to Germany stop at Zuid/Midi and Noord/Nord. But usually you take the station closest to where you're staying, or one that you can reach easily.

Also, I find in some cases I can just put in the name of a city, since I don’t know which station to pick and in others, like in Brussels, it won’t let me just put in “Brussels”? What am I doing wrong in my search?

It looks like they didn't implement a common "Brussels” name.

We’re also traveling from Munich to Colmar. There’s two train changes. The first change in Stuttgart is only 9 min. How can I make sure we can make it on time and what should we do if we miss the change? Would I need to make another reservation for the following train?

If you think 9 minutes is too short, then take an earlier train or set the minimum change time higher. If you miss a train with mandatory reservations and the next connection also has mandatory reservations, then railway staff must rebook you free of charge.

There are 4 of us traveling (2 adults, 2 children) with luggage, in cases when it’s not required to purchase a seat from Brussels to Cologne, Cologne to Munich is it better to reserve a seat? Is it possible that there are no seats and we will have to stand with our luggage?

With 4 people, it's a good idea to book seats, especially in summer.  Book on bahn.com (use "Seat only”), that's a lot cheaper than via Eurail: €9.80 in total for a family with children up to 14 years old (€11.80 in 1st class). Eurail charge €8 per person and train for optional reservations, which would be €64 in total for Brussels-Munich.

When you purchase seats do you get specific seats assigned?

On bahn.com, you can pick them from a seat map if you want. bahn.com is also a far better and more reliable planning tool than the rail planner app.

I just hit “reply” I’m assuming this is in the community and not a private message since multiple people have responded. 

Do you know or how can I find out if the station in Cologne has lockers for luggage?

Is there an app I can use to find the platform number in Stuttgart since we have so little time during the change on the train from Munich to Colmar?

If I understand correctly, if there’s no seat reservations required I don’t have to book those trips via Rail Planner app ahead of time, just find a train that’s on the app and hop on? 

I can do any number of trips within 24 hour period between midnight of one day and midnight of the next day?

Why do I need to get to the station 45 min ahead of time for passport control? When I traveled in the past from Munich to Prague (Deutsche Bahn) or from Munich to Rome (Italian train) I just had to get on the train before it was leaving. Is that only for international connections or specific to Eurail? Since some of my train changes are very quick (only 9 min in Stuttgart from Munich to Colmar) how do I go through passport control during those connections? Will I be forced to exit the train station and re-enter it instead of just walking over to another platform?

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I just hit “reply” I’m assuming this is in the community and not a private message since multiple people have responded. 

Do you know or how can I find out if the station in Cologne has lockers for luggage?

Is there an app I can use to find the platform number in Stuttgart since we have so little time during the change on the train from Munich to Colmar?

If I understand correctly, if there’s no seat reservations required I don’t have to book those trips via Rail Planner app ahead of time, just find a train that’s on the app and hop on? 

I can do any number of trips within 24 hour period between midnight of one day and midnight of the next day?

Why do I need to get to the station 45 min ahead of time for passport control? When I traveled in the past from Munich to Prague (Deutsche Bahn) or from Munich to Rome (Italian train) I just had to get on the train before it was leaving. Is that only for international connections or specific to Eurail? Since some of my train changes are very quick (only 9 min in Stuttgart from Munich to Colmar) how do I go through passport control during those connections? Will I be forced to exit the train station and re-enter it instead of just walking over to another platform?

Thank you.

Google Cologne luggage lockers. There are luggage lockers in every bigger station in Europe. Follow the signs in the station to get there. 

Check the national apps for platform numbers. DB navigator app or www.bahn.com in Germany. Also displayed on the departure screens in the stations. 

Indeed, just make sure that every train you take is registered in the app. 

You can take as many trains you like yes, on a valid travel day. 

There is no regular passport control, only on Eurostar (London-Paris/Lille/Brussels/Amsterdam) since you exit or enter the EU and Schengen. All the rest of the trains in Board you just show up in time and board. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thank you.

The DB (German state railway Deutsche Bahn) app will give real time information including platforms. Always double check station displays before boarding trains.

All trains you take should be entered into the rail planner. With short commuter lines in cities you still should add a train for the journey you are making, if it is not the exact time train you end up taking it won’t be a problem.

A pass day is from midnight to midnight. This includes any overnight train that you board before midnight even if the journey carries through to the next day, as long as you remain on that train.

The 45minute MINIMUM check-in is only for Eurostar trains between continental Europe and Britain, the UK is not part of the Schengen agreement that removed formalized border checks between most European countries and a full security and immigation procedure is carried out for these trains, this is all done at the departing station. It has nothing to do with your Eurail pass.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Just as a tip : when would you like to take the Eurostar between London and Brussels/Paris ? You need to book it ASAP as there is a quota for passholders (30€ seat reservation). Check availability and book through this link (4€ fee per order, compared to 2€ per person per train on eurail.com) : https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish

If there's none for your travel date, let us know and we'll gladly help. There are a few alternatives but not many.

Thank you so much! Similarly to how I can book less expensive seats on Bahn.de for the German parts of the itinerary, are there less expensive seat reservations I can get Paris-London, London-Brussels and Colmar-Paris than going through Eurail?

When booking seat reservations Paris-London it’s not giving me specific seats. How do I know what seats are ours?

How often do regional trains go from Strasbourg to Colmar?

Our train change is very short in Stuttgart going from Munich to Colmar. Do you have a recommendation? I am concerned I won’t make it within 7 min with luggage and kids in a train station I’ve never been to. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thank you so much! Similarly to how I can book less expensive seats on Bahn.de for the German parts of the itinerary, are there less expensive seat reservations I can get Paris-London, London-Brussels and Colmar-Paris than going through Eurail?

When booking seat reservations Paris-London it’s not giving me specific seats. How do I know what seats are ours?

How often do regional trains go from Strasbourg to Colmar?

Our train change is very short in Stuttgart going from Munich to Colmar. Do you have a recommendation? I am concerned I won’t make it within 7 min with luggage and kids in a train station I’ve never been to. 

All your answers are found here, this topic lists all alternative ways of getting reservations (often a bit cheaper), best read it carefully:

Use www.bahn.com to check up to date traintimes, or use the websites/apps of the train companies you’re using to be fully up to date  on possible on delays, track changes,....

Eurostar reservations (London-Paris/Brussels/Amsterdam) are always a bit pricey. Your seat and car number should be on the pdf of the reservation you’ve got sent to you once having made the reservation.

Strasbourg Colmar has trains every half hour normally, so not a big deal if you miss one. Just hop on the next one.

Use www.bahn.com again, when you go to “further options” in the planner, you can add more time in the “stopover” section for that station if you want a certain amount of time for changing trains.

If I am using bahn.com to make seat reservations then does my Eurail pass count as a “booking” similar to a booking I would normally make on Bahn.com? 

Why do I need to put in my journeys without required seat reservations into the Eurail app? Are the trips in the app real bookings or do they only become real bookings once I move the toggle that asks me if I want to use my travel day?

When should I toggle the travel day switch - weeks ahead of time, several days ahead of time? Is it possible that I won’t be able to make a booking even when seats aren’t required?

I’ve been trying to book 4 seats from Colmar to Paris on Aug 18 at 16:45 on eurail.com and once I get to the payment screen it tells me “Sorry, something went wrong. Please try again later or find another connection. This connection will be removed from your cart.”  Tried again on another browser and it says “One of the legs of your journey is not available anymore. Please try searching for another connection.” However, when I search for it, it’s there. Any idea what the issue is? I’ve removed from the cart, re-added it several times and every time I get the same message. Is there another website where I can book seats?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If I am using bahn.com to make seat reservations then does my Eurail pass count as a “booking” similar to a booking I would normally make on Bahn.com?

I'm not sure what you mean but on bahn.com you use "Seat only” to get reservations. Your pass is your ticket.

Why do I need to put in my journeys without required seat reservations into the Eurail app?

To generate a ticket (QR code). And Eurail use the data to distribute the income.

Are the trips in the app real bookings or do they only become real bookings once I move the toggle that asks me if I want to use my travel day?

They're not bookings in the sense that you're not booking anything. It's just registering the trains you use, the digital equivalent of writing a train on the cover of a paper pass.

But once you toggle the switch and activate a travel day, the QR code for the travel day is generated.

When should I toggle the travel day switch - weeks ahead of time, several days ahead of time?

When you're in frot of the train. Never in advance. You can only cancel a travel day until 23:59 before validity starts. If something happens after that, e.g. you wake up ill, it will be too late to cancel and you'll loose the travel day.

Is it possible that I won’t be able to make a booking even when seats aren’t required?

I'm not sure what you mean, but pass and reservations are completely separate. You can make reservations without activating your pass. Activating a travel day is not linked to seat availability: the app does not know whether seats are available. That's another reason not to activate your pass or a travel day in advance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Book domestic TGVs here : https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish

You'll save booking fees too. 4€ fee per order compared to 2€ per person per train on eurail.com.

Thanks so much! I was able to make a booking on TGV that I couldn’t on the Eurail site. 

So I have created a trip for every family member in the app. The “trip” or “journey” includes all the trains we’ll be taking. I can see when I go to the “My pass” section of the app there’s a way to “add a journey” and there’s a button to “use travel day.” And as I asked above there’s a way to switch the toggle under “My trip.” Is switching the toggle under “My trip” same as “Use Travel Day” under “My pass”? I was told not to activate until I’m standing in front of the train.

Do I need to “Add a journey” in “My pass” ahead of time or also wait until we’re at the train station?

Is it possible that if I wait too long to activate my travel day that there won’t be room on the train on the leg of the train that does NOT require seats? I’m confused how you can take the train without seat reservations without the train company knowing how many people will be there that day. What if hundreds of people are activating their passes standing in front of the train that doesn’t require reservations and they won’t have a space for them?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Seat reservations on regional trains are not possible for anyone, it works in a first come first served basis (don’t worry about that term, people make short journeys and move around all the time). You simply board and sit wherever you want whether you have a ticket (valid on any train all day or for a few hours usually) or a pass. Companies know how busy the train will be by counting passengers/statistics. Of course more people travel around rush hours so trains are longer. On rare occasions you may have to stand but it’s not an issue : there are bars or handles.

Btw the pass does not guarantee you a seat, it only gives you a ticket for that train. You can activate the journey at any point before boarding, it works like a diary as said earlier.

I’m looking to do out of town trips like Versailles (Paris), Windsor and Warner Brother’s Harry Potter Studio Tour (London), Neuschwanstein Castle and Salzburg (near Munich). I haven’t included these travel days on my Eurail pass. Trying to decide if it makes sense to add additional days to the pass, is it even possible to add? And is less expensive? (our two kids have free Eurail passes, not sure if I would have to pay for regional trains for them). 

Which of these locations are covered by the pass?

I’m assuming for near London I can use Thameslink which is covered by the pass?

How about Versailles?

Are locations by Munich covered by the pass on Bahn.com?

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can't add travel days to an existing pass. You can only exchange a pass that has not been activated, for a fee of €15.

Versailles can be reached by RER, which is not covered by the pass.

Neuschwanstein can be reached by train and a part by bus; the train is covered. But you can use the Bayern-Ticket. The same goes for Salzburg if you're staying near Munich.

Thameslink is covered by the pass but just for a short return journey a travel day may not be worth it.

Can I get around London using Thameslink or would I still need to buy an Oyster card for the Tube? Traveling with two kids so convenience of transportation is important.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Can I get around London using Thameslink or would I still need to buy an Oyster card for the Tube? Traveling with two kids so convenience of transportation is important.

The tube is not covered by the pass. Only trains are covered; within London, that's the Overground, the Elizabeth Line and Thameslink.

In London, you can also travel with a contactless card, so you don't need an Oyster card anymore.

Children under 5 travel for free, children aged 5-10 can get an Oyster card for an admin fee of GBP 10. Children aged 11-15 have a 66% discount for an admin fee of GBP 15, children aged 16-17 have a 50% discount for an admin fee of GBP 20. See the overview of free and discounted travel in London:

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel

Of course, children can also travel on a contactless card and pay adult fares, or pay cash tickets but especially cash tickets are quite expensive, see the fare finder.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Last time I bought a regular Oyster card I was able to get the 11-15 y.o. children discount (50%) directly applied by a member of staff. I didn't have to worry about that ZIP card.

It is explained here for the Visitor Oyster card that you can't buy in London : https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/visiting-london/visitor-oyster-card#on-this-page-7

However I assume (at least from my experience and a friend one) that the discount can be applied to any card... as long as you maybe look like a tourist.