Solved

Combination of reserved seats and unreserved seats?

• 10 June 2022
  • 6 replies

I am very confused about Eurail….So in my travel from France to Italy ...the first leg says no reservation needed….then the middle leg needs a seat (so I reserved and paid for one) and then the last leg said the pass seats were gone so I went to Italian rail line and paid for the full price seat.

But….what about that first leg?? I have no reservation..it’s not even possible...so what if I show up there and can’t get on the train because it’s full….then the seats go to waste that I’ve paid for for the 2nd and 3rd leg??? :(

I feel like even if the seat is free we should have a way to hold a spot or something? Am I missing something?? 

icon

Best answer by seewulf 10 June 2022, 18:34

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I am very confused about Eurail….So in my travel from France to Italy ...the first leg says no reservation needed….then the middle leg needs a seat (so I reserved and paid for one) and then the last leg said the pass seats were gone so I went to Italian rail line and paid for the full price seat.

But….what about that first leg?? I have no reservation..it’s not even possible...so what if I show up there and can’t get on the train because it’s full….then the seats go to waste that I’ve paid for for the 2nd and 3rd leg??? :(

I feel like even if the seat is free we should have a way to hold a spot or something? Am I missing something?? 

Not all trains can be reserved especially Regionaltrains or suburban trains in the City (like NewJerseyTransit in the US)
Sometimes even if you dont need one you can still reserve this happens for example in Germany or Austria for the ICE´s & Railjets :)

If you provide more details we can give a advice
Leg1? Leg2? Leg? Origin/Destination, Which trains?

Colmar, France to Rome, Italy…..the first leg from Colmar to Switzerland (I think)...says no reservations...then I made the seat reservation for the 2nd leg (Switzerland to Milan) and then had to book regional for Milan to Rome because pass seat reservations were “full/out” or something.

So, it’s that first leg from Colmar that concerns me...if there isn’t room on there. I looked and couldn’t see any way to save a seat/spot. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Colmar, France to Rome, Italy…..the first leg from Colmar to Switzerland (I think)...says no reservations...then I made the seat reservation for the 2nd leg (Switzerland to Milan) and then had to book regional for Milan to Rome because pass seat reservations were “full/out” or something.

So, it’s that first leg from Colmar that concerns me...if there isn’t room on there. I looked and couldn’t see any way to save a seat/spot. 

The first trains is a TER can´t be reserved
Eurocity to Milan is okey.
I doubt that all seats for Milan - Rome are sold out as there are plenty trains per day (only exception arround August it may could happen)  Which date are you traveling Milan - Rome? 

The app said I couldn’t get a seat so I already paid for one through Italia Rail...from Milan to Rome.  Now another day I’ve had situation where it told me all seats for pass holders were booked and when I went back into the site later there were some...it was frustrating but that same thing could have happened with Milan to Rome..it’s too late now. 

But in terms of TER ..the original question….so I might show up and not get on it so not make my connection? does that happen often? 

And I’m sorry...the date is in July...July 16th, I believe (late at night by the I get to Milan...like 11 p.m.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The app said I couldn’t get a seat so I already paid for one through Italia Rail...from Milan to Rome.  Now another day I’ve had situation where it told me all seats for pass holders were booked and when I went back into the site later there were some...it was frustrating but that same thing could have happened with Milan to Rome..it’s too late now. 

But in terms of TER ..the original question….so I might show up and not get on it so not make my connection? does that happen often? 

Only in very very rare cases if the train is overcrowded , Festival or Concert in the Region.
You may have to stand if all seats are in use :/ But on that train i never experienced it till yet. Just hop on and take any free seat :)