Solved

Does the Global pass include EC-47 train from Geneva to Milan

• Keeps calm and carries on
  • 10 replies

I have purchased a Eurail Global pass for 5 days in 1 month. I plan on taking EC-47 train from Geneva to Milan on June 18th, departure at 7:39am.

I am trying to reserve seats on EC-47 but this train does not show up on Eurail seat reservation. Can someone please let me know if EC-47 is not covered by Eurail Global pass? or am I doing something wrong? 

Will very much appreciate your response.

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 7 June 2023, 20:55

View original

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi,

yes it is included. Keep in mind that the app or website of Eurail are sometimes trains missing or the booking not possible does not mean that it is not included.

You should be able to book it via ÖBB tickets.oebb.at looking for one way tickets and Interrail/Eurail as discount.

To your Eurocity: It is missing in the timetables of other train companies (maybe late upload of the timetable). You could try to wait till the train gets into the system of ÖBB or Eurail or try at ticket offices of SBB or Trenitalia.

If it is not possible not worry, till Domodossola (border to Italy) the train can be boarded without a reservation. From there you need one. If you don't get a reservation you could ask italian train staff for a reservation onboard but ask before departure in Domodossola and it will cost 11€ + 20€ fee on board.

Or you take from Domodossola the next local train to Milano (reservation not needed), also possible to do a panoramic train ride from Domodossola to Locarno and from there RE train to Milano. Takes longer but it is scenic.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The EC47 is reservation free to Domodossola. From there you can take a regional reservation free train to Milan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It's possible to book from Domodossola only through tickets.oebb.at as advised.

You can sit on your reserved seat from Geneva (or elsewhere if you prefer of course).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Camilo. @Mukhammad Can your please check why the EC47 from Geneva to Milan is missing in the Railplanner?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi everybody!

I will check with the App team why is this train not showing in our planner. I see that in Deutsche Bahn and OEBB, the train appears only from Dommodosola, and not from Geneve. 

I hope to have an answer soon. 

Have a nice week!

Hi,

yes it is included. Keep in mind that the app or website of Eurail are sometimes trains missing or the booking not possible does not mean that it is not included.

You should be able to book it via ÖBB tickets.oebb.at looking for one way tickets and Interrail/Eurail as discount.

To your Eurocity: It is missing in the timetables of other train companies (maybe late upload of the timetable). You could try to wait till the train gets into the system of ÖBB or Eurail or try at ticket offices of SBB or Trenitalia.

If it is not possible not worry, till Domodossola (border to Italy) the train can be boarded without a reservation. From there you need one. If you don't get a reservation you could ask italian train staff for a reservation onboard but ask before departure in Domodossola and it will cost 11€ + 20€ fee on board.

Or you take from Domodossola the next local train to Milano (reservation not needed), also possible to do a panoramic train ride from Domodossola to Locarno and from there RE train to Milano. Takes longer but it is scenic.

Hello Angelo, thank you for the confirmation. I went to OBB website and selected the Eurail pass option and looked and I still do not see the EC47 direct train from Geneva to Milan in that list. Once I figure how to attach a picture, I will upload a screenshot of what OBB shows

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Like I said before, you have to wait till the train gets into the websites of ÖBB or Eurail. It is missing, why I don't know probably data is missing.

Or you get the reservation via Trenitalia Ticket Office in Italy, Paris GDL or Lyon. Or at SBB Ticket Offices or Call Center.

I appreciate your feedback and response Angelo.

Here are the “offers” I see in Trenitalia website when I try to book a ticket. I do not see Eurail global pass in these options. Can someone point me to the correct option I should choose for using Eurail pass? I am afraid that the money spent on Eurail pass will go waste.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can’t book passholder seats (anymore) through trenitalia.com.

Make a seat reservation from Domodossola (10:17 - 11:40) through tickets.oebb.at : add Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets. This is the way to go if you want to book the seat reservation in advance.

Sit on your booked seat (or wherever you want) from Geneva. it won’t be a problem at all, I can guarantee you. I’ve done that a dozen times :

• Swiss ticket/abo (not tied to a train) up to Domodossola
  • Italian ticket from Domodossola (incl. a seat reservation)

Seat reservations are never required within Switzerland : the border point is Domodossola.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi everybody!

I will check with the App team why is this train not showing in our planner. I see that in Deutsche Bahn and OEBB, the train appears only from Dommodosola, and not from Geneve. 

I hope to have an answer soon. 

Have a nice week!

UPDATE: 

I received an answer from one our of SMEs saying that this probably has to do with the train times update, as with international trains our system receives conflicting info from the railway companies. She says that the deadline for all the carriers to send the update is the 12th of June, so she would recommend to wait until then to see if this has to be investigated further!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@shrekr I wrote only at ticket offices of Trenitalia not online. Maybe SBB Call Center or Ticket Offices. Not online.

No other way at the moment or you wait or get a other train or route.

@thibcabe like said before the reservation for this EC47 is at the moment not possible for June 18 via ÖBB online because the train data is missing at Eurail and ÖBB.

@Camilo. thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Just to add after a quick look on trenitalia.com to see the number of available seats :

- hundreds of seats available so no issue here

- however due to engineering works that weekend (and the later one), all trains (incl. ECs) are diverted to Milano Porta Garibaldi

For EC47 it would mean an arrival time at 11:38 at Milano Porta Garibaldi.

From there to Centrale it's a 25-min walk or a subway ride (when needed).

Plan accordingly if you have an onward connection.

Looks like Trenitalia hasn't communicated that info because not a single planner : SBB, DB, ÖBB shows it :/

I have purchased a Eurail Global pass for 5 days in 1 month. I plan on taking EC-47 train from Geneva to Milan on June 18th, departure at 7:39am.

I am trying to reserve seats on EC-47 but this train does not show up on Eurail seat reservation. Can someone please let me know if EC-47 is not covered by Eurail Global pass? or am I doing something wrong? 

Will very much appreciate your response.

I realized that I wrote “I have purchased”, just want to clarify “I want to purchase” a pass. Below is my full train travel plan, I understand that all these routes are covered by Eurail pass, and I need pay extra for seat reservations.

Geneva to Monterosso on 18th June by Train *** (7:39am EC47 direct train to Milan and reach Monterosso by Noon)
Monterosso to Rome on 19th June by Train ***
Rome to Venice on 22nd June by Train *** 
Fly from Venice to Berlin
Berlin to Prague on 26th June by Train ***
Prague to Vienna on 27th by Train ***

*** → Train travel days (5)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

A pass should be good value then. Remember to book the seat reservations in advance, all through tickets.oebb.at (no booking fee).

- 10€ EC Domodossola - Milano Centrale (will be Porta Garibaldi though) arrival 11:40

- walk or subway to Centrale (not included). Time to eat

- 3€ IC Milano Centrale - Monterosso departure 14:05

- 3€ IC La Spezia - Rome

- 13€ Frecciarossa Rome - Venice

Optional reservations (but recommended) :

- 3€ Berlin - Prague

- 3€ Prague - Vienna

Do not make them on eurail.com, way too expensive (8€ I think).

If you feel like it, you could get a 1st class pass : better seats and less crowded (that's pretty much it). The last 2 reservations would be free through ÖBB.

Edit : I assume that the flight and accommodation have been booked but if not there would be a very convenient night train to Vienna.

- NJ Venezia S. Lucia - Wien Hbf 21:05 - 07:58 : 32€ for a couchette in a 6-people compartment or 50€ for a sleeper in a 3-people compartment !

With the pass you only pay accommodation price (way cheaper than a night in a hotel)

A pass should be good value then. Remember to book the seat reservations in advance, all through tickets.oebb.at (no booking fee).

- 10€ EC Domodossola - Milano Centrale (will be Porta Garibaldi though) arrival 11:40

- walk or subway to Centrale (not included). Time to eat

- 3€ IC Milano Centrale - Monterosso departure 14:05

- 3€ IC La Spezia - Rome

- 13€ Frecciarossa Rome - Venice

Optional reservations (but recommended) :

- 3€ Berlin - Prague

- 3€ Prague - Vienna

Do not make them on eurail.com, way too expensive (8€ I think).

If you feel like it, you could get a 1st class pass : better seats and less crowded (that's pretty much it). The last 2 reservations would be free through ÖBB.

Edit : I assume that the flight and accommodation have been booked but if not there would be a very convenient night train to Vienna.

- NJ Venezia S. Lucia - Wien Hbf 21:05 - 07:58 : 32€ for a couchette in a 6-people compartment or 50€ for a sleeper in a 3-people compartment !

With the pass you only pay accommodation price (way cheaper than a night in a hotel)

Thank you @thibcabe.

I see that the reservation from Monterosso to Rome is 15EUR. Total I am going to spend on reservation is 10+3+15+13+3+3 = 47EUR (about 52$) which brings the total to 

868$ for pass + 200$ for reservation = 1068$ which is more than the cost of buying point to point tickets. So I am wondering what is the benefit of purchasing Eurail pass?

The point to point tickets total to 670$ + 200$ = 870$

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

A 5-day Global Pass costs 323$ (2nd class) or 410$ (1st class). I wonder where you've seen 868$…

You have 50$ in seat reservations, not 200$ !

Point-to-point tickets include seat reservations when they're required

Monterosso - Rome depends on which connection you take. Some costs 3€ and some 13€ (+2€ booking fee if you were to use eurail.com but please don't, there's no point in that).

A 5-day Global Pass costs 323$ (2nd class) or 410$ (1st class). I wonder where you've seen 868$…

You have 50$ in seat reservations, not 200$ !

Point-to-point tickets include seat reservations when they're required

Monterosso - Rome depends on which connection you take. Some costs 3€ and some 13€ (+2€ booking fee if you were to use eurail.com but please don't, there's no point in that).

The costs I have listed are for my family of 4.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

How old are your kids ? Under 12 y.o. can get a free Eurail Pass when travelling with an adult. However they need to pay seat reservations too.

Children under 14-16 y.o. (depending on the country) can have cheaper tickets.

If regular tickets seem to be cheaper, then book them but I'm really not sure that it's the case. You don't have to add seat reservations on trains requiring one if you book tickets (they're included). However for Berlin - Prague - Vienna, as they're optional you'd need to add them.

Keep in mind that you have extra flexibility with the Eurail pass as you can take any train you'd like. Not the case for Geneva - Monterosso as you need to book in advance but there will be availability on the day for the trip to Rome

How old are your kids ? Under 12 y.o. can get a free Eurail Pass when travelling with an adult. However they need to pay seat reservations too.

Children under 14-16 y.o. (depending on the country) can have cheaper tickets.

If regular tickets seem to be cheaper, then book them but I'm really not sure that it's the case. You don't have to add seat reservations on trains requiring one if you book tickets (they're included). However for Berlin - Prague - Vienna, as they're optional you'd need to add them.

Keep in mind that you have extra flexibility with the Eurail pass as you can take any train you'd like. Not the case for Geneva - Monterosso as you need to book in advance but there will be availability on the day for the trip to Rome

One kid is 17Yr (practically an adult :) ) and 2nd one is 10Yr. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Well I had a look and here is my total :

Advance tickets that you need to book right now :

• (446€ Genève 07:39 - Monterosso 17:05 (2h30 for lunch and transfer in Milan) → way too expensive trenitalia.com)

To save a lot of money, take this route :

• IR90 Genève - Brig 07:10 - 09:32
  • IR Brig - Domodossola 09:40 - 10:08

3 x 24 CHF + 1 x 12 CHF = 84 CHF sbb.ch

• EC Domodossola - Milano Porta Garibaldi 10:17 - 11:38
  • transfer 2h30
  • IC Milano Centrale - Monterosso 14:05 - 17:05

137.30€ trenitalia.com

Literally half the cost if you leave Geneva half an hour before. The connections are guaranteed.

• 115-180€ Monterosso - Roma Termini trenitalia.com
  • 138-193€ Roma Termini - Venezia S. Lucia trenitalia.com
  • 135-180€ Berlin Hbf - Praha hl.n. bahn.com
  • 83-168€ Praha hl.n. - Wien Hbf tickets.oebb.at

Total : 700€ (750$) for the cheapest connections but 950€ (1016$) for the more expensive ones. Passes would be 889$ + 148$ (1037$) and you have flexibility. Now you can choose...

Well I had a look and here is my total :

Advance tickets that you need to book right now :

• (446€ Genève 07:39 - Monterosso 17:05 (2h30 for lunch and transfer in Milan) → way too expensive trenitalia.com)

To save a lot of money, take this route :

• IR90 Genève - Brig 07:10 - 09:32
  • IR Brig - Domodossola 09:40 - 10:08

3 x 24 CHF + 1 x 12 CHF = 84 CHF sbb.ch

• EC Domodossola - Milano Porta Garibaldi 10:17 - 11:38
  • transfer 2h30
  • IC Milano Centrale - Monterosso 14:05 - 17:05

137.30€ trenitalia.com

Literally half the cost if you leave Geneva half an hour before. The connections are guaranteed.

• 115-180€ Monterosso - Roma Termini trenitalia.com
  • 138-193€ Roma Termini - Venezia S. Lucia trenitalia.com
  • 135-180€ Berlin Hbf - Praha hl.n. bahn.com
  • 83-168€ Praha hl.n. - Wien Hbf tickets.oebb.at

Total : 700€ (750$) for the cheapest connections but 950€ (1016$) for the more expensive ones. Passes would be 889$ + 148$ (1037$) and you have flexibility. Now you can choose...

Thank you so very much @thibcabe This is very very helpful. I appreciate the tip on super saver ticket between Geneva and Domodossola.

Your tip tilts the favor by a lot towards point to point ticket. I know this will reduce our flexibility but will go with the PtoP booking.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yep I think that's the way to go.

However do not wait to book (through the operator's website) because prices will go up quickly !

For example Geneva - Domodossola now costs 3 x 30.80 CHF + 1 x 15.40 CHF. This does not mean that the train will be full but that the cheaper quota has sold out.

Friends, done with my booking, 751$ spent for a family of 4, Geneva → Rome → Venice & Berlin → Prague → Vienna. Will keep you posted on my experience. Thank you all for your guidance.

Completely unrelated question, do any of you have a recommendation for purchasing a SIM card which will keep me connected in Swiss/Italy/Germany/Czechia/Austria? I mainly need a data/internet card, if it comes with few minutes to call across these countries that will be a bonus.