Double Booked Eurostar by mistake

• 16 March 2023
  • 9 replies

Hi, I wondered if anybody else has had the misfortune to make an error like I have and double booked the Eurostar ?

I booked a journey and for some reason it was duplicated ( probably something to do with my less than up to date computer skills ! ) and so I have now paid for two journeys for exactly the same people at exactly the same time.I contacted eurorail to explain this was a mistake and was told curtly by email that sorry I could not get a refund.I understand the no exchange / cancellation by the ticket holder policy but surely if you have made a genuine mistake its a bit poor to be penalised by eurorail who have been known to make the odd mistake themselves…..Does anyone have any advice please ? ( other than sharpen up my computer skills which is a given...)

Many thanks

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This does seem pretty unhelpful from Eurail in the case of a genuine mistake. I’ve generally found their Customer Services to be helpful if you get through to a real person, but slow and difficult to actually get through.

If you can’t get them to refund it, at lease make sure you log into Eurostar and choose seats next to each other for your ghost booking, so you have a spare seat next to you!

Many thanks for the advice ralderton , I think I may go for the ghost booking as you suggest.Im not even aware that eurorail has a number as I was told they were unreachable by phone ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’ve never tried by phone, but I have had some success reaching them on Twitter. 

I’ve had this before and I ended up just rescheduling the duplicate booking for €15. It’s not ideal, but if you use IR+E* regularly, it can work well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’ve had this before and I ended up just rescheduling the duplicate booking for €15. It’s not ideal, but if you use IR+E* regularly, it can work well.

Yes, this is a good idea if you’ll take the same journey again (same origin and destination) in the future. It should cost £15/ €15 to change, and you can do it through manage booking on the Eurostar website (although I have heard of it sometimes offering to change for free!).

Still, better to push for the refund if you can.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

You could try ringing Eurostar's contact centre (+44 (0)3432 186 186), explain your mistake and ask, if they're in a more forgiving mood, if they could exchange the duplicate order value for an e-voucher.

You'd hope they'd see the benefit in doing so: it's not a refund and they could then resell those seats at full value. And you could use the voucher for another Eurostar trip (Pass or no Pass) or on one of their hotel deals.

Not a guarantee but I'd give it a try too. 

I’ve never tried by phone, but I have had some success reaching them on Twitter. 

Thanks - I’ll try that

Thank you for contributing Ikoroes, I may well do that, cheers

You could try ringing Eurostar's contact centre (+44 (0)3432 186 186), explain your mistake and ask, if they're in a more forgiving mood, if they could exchange the duplicate order value for an e-voucher.

You'd hope they'd see the benefit in doing so: it's not a refund and they could then resell those seats at full value. And you could use the voucher for another Eurostar trip (Pass or no Pass) or on one of their hotel deals.

Not a guarantee but I'd give it a try too. 

Thanks JDH - I did try contacting them yesterday but a pre-recorded message said that the phone lines were down. I’ll give them another try and see if I can persuade them to give me an e voucher as you suggest, fingers crossed…..