easiest way to travel

• 23 June 2023
  • 1 reply

Hello!

l have a little over 2 weeks to do some solo traveling in Europe from roughly July 15th - Aug 1st 2023. This is a spontaneous trip (like all of mine usually are). I've used the trains in northern Italy and Japan when tourism was very low. My concern on this trip is having issues with seat reservations. Id like to start in London take the PO ferry to France (from dover to calais) and then take a train to Paris, Lyons, Marseille, and end in Barcelona. I don't want to set my schedule in stone, and I may spend more days in certain cities depending on the circumstances. Is this route possible to do spontaneously or will the trains on these routes be completely booked in advance?

Thanks for the suggestions, 

Dan

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

If you are flexible and willing to use slower regional trains if need be then all those legs can be done on non-resevation TER without any pre-booking.

The only possible issue would be the ferry, since covid P&O only offer foot passenger on a handful of sailings per day and these wouldn’t be guaranteed available.

Chances are you will find space last minute on faster TGV on the Paris-Lyon and Lyon - Marseille legs and IC or possibly the new RENFE France - Barcelona service. https://www.renfe.com/content/dam/renfe/es/Viajeros/Secciones/Prepara-tu-viaje/ave-francia/pdf/Renfe_Horarios_es.pdf