EC from Munich to Bologna - reservation needed?

• 1 April 2022
  • 9 replies

The Eurail system tells me that I need a reservation for the EC from Munich to Bologna. But at the main station at Munich they tell me that I do not need it. Since I want to travel the 11th of April it is to late to make the reservation via the Eurail system. So what do I do? Did anyone already take that train? The same is for the way back….

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Reservation is not required. The information about that on the Eurail/Interrail websites and the planner is incorrect. @Nanja, any plans to correct that? It was in my recent list with corrections...

There is however a 10€ supplement for pass holders on this train but you can also pay that on the train (and some ticket inspectors don't ask for it...).

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Reservation is not required. The information about that on the Eurail/Interrail websites and the planner is incorrect. @Nanja, any plans to correct that? It was in my recent list with corrections...

There is however a 10€ supplement for pass holders on this train but you can also pay that on the train (and some ticket inspectors don't ask for it...).

@rvdborgt 

Do I understand you correctly that you would just take this train without a seat reservation, because if the controller doesn't ask for it, you save the reservation?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

For these EC trains, you have to make a distinction between reservation and pass holder supplement:

• Pass holders should pay a 10€ supplement for the Italian part of the journey. You can buy it in advance but also on the train (same price). Some ticket inspectors don't ask for it though. This supplement is not a reservation.
  • Reservation is optional and can be done for 3€ via ÖBB.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8

For these EC trains, you have to make a distinction between reservation and pass holder supplement:

• Pass holders should pay a 10€ supplement for the Italian part of the journey. You can buy it in advance but also on the train (same price). Some ticket inspectors don't ask for it though. This supplement is not a reservation.
  • Reservation is optional and can be done for 3€ via ÖBB.

So, you can just try not to buy a supplement in advance?Because if I understand you correctly, not every controller asks for a surcharge?

Isn't a seat reservation 3 euros, 2nd class and 5 euros for 1st class?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

So, you can just try not to buy a supplement in advance?Because if I understand you correctly, not every controller asks for a surcharge?

Indeed.

On ÖBB, an optional reservation is 3€ regardless of the class.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Indeed.

That's very interesting!!

On ÖBB, an optional reservation is 3€ regardless of the class.

Yes, I do indeed see a price of 3 euros for a seat reservation.

But if you want to travel in 1st class, then this will cost a 15 euro surcharge?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

NO, IF you buy the supplmt in advance (can in practice only be done at DB or OeBB counters, NOT those of Tr-It in IT!!) the REServ is included. That is if you ask for it, there is no real ground for fear to be not able to travel. If you decide only later what train/day, then its this 3 - 4 € extra.

Chances you will not be asked to pay when not having done yet on the train are very slim to nil, IMHO  And its ONLY needed if part of the trip is INside IT, not for München-Tirol.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

15€ because first class. If you want a reservation you only pay 3€. For only a reservation you have to choose the seat only option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi, I've passed it on and will get back to you as soon as possible.