Solved

Eurail Mobile Pass + Seat Reservations in Italy

• 1 April 2022
  • 3 replies

I have a mobile Eurail pass with the rail planner app. This is a 5 days in 1 month if that matters. I have booked my train reservations through the Eurail website, and so I have those papers printed and in my email, they all have barcodes. Then, within my Eurail rail planner app, I have those same ticket times I booked, and they are in “my trip”. Do I toggle those for travel days to add to my pass, and then that barcode in the app is scanned to confirm my Eurail pass, then I have to show the email ticket for them to scan to confirm I have a seat reservation? And do I use that mobile barcode to get through gates in the train stations?

I just want a play by play of the boarding process. So - arrive at station, use mobile barcode for that travel day to scan and get through the gates, board train, the ticket person comes around and needs to scan both my phones mobile barcode, AND the other barcode that I received when I purchased seat reservations? Correct?

hope this was clear, thank you!

icon

Best answer by Angelo 1 April 2022, 20:57

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

It is not very common that train stations have gates in Europe. Indeed in Italy there are some stations that have gates. I know that gates in the Netherlands can read the Eurail Pass, but in Italy I don’t know. 

In your case, I assume you will take trains in big stations like Rome, Milan or Firenze. This stations have gates, but with people controlling the tickets (you show the Eurail Pass (your ticket) or the reservation, they don’t look very deep on it). 

Your tickets will be checked on board of the train (like in almost all trains in Europe it works so, with exceptions like high speed in spain or like Eurostar service to London). You show the reservation and your ticket (the Eurail Pass). Please note that some trains don’t need a reservation and you only hop on.

It is not very common that train stations have gates in Europe. Indeed in Italy there are some stations that have gates. I know that gates in the Netherlands can read the Eurail Pass, but in Italy I don’t know. 

In your case, I assume you will take trains in big stations like Rome, Milan or Firenze. This stations have gates, but with people controlling the tickets (you show the Eurail Pass (your ticket) or the reservation, they don’t look very deep on it). 

Your tickets will be checked on board of the train (like in almost all trains in Europe it works so, with exceptions like high speed in spain or like Eurostar service to London). You show the reservation and your ticket (the Eurail Pass). Please note that some trains don’t need a reservation and you only hop on.

Thank you for this response ! I solely booked high speed routes in advance so I paid reservation fees. I just wanted to make sure of the process. I’ve not visited any train stations outside of NYC subways, which have gates, so thanks for the info :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I believe in Milan I was able to use the mobile barcode to enter the platforms. Maybe the barcode on the reservation also works. There was also staff for people who couldn't use the gates.