Solved

Eurail pass/reservation question!

• 26 October 2023
  • 3 replies

We are trying to go from Salzburg Hbf (Austria) to Heidelberg Hbf (Germany) on November 25th, using our multi-day Eurail passes; I was looking through the costs of buying reservations because someone mentioned it is nice to have so you have a guaranteed seat, and then I noticed our original planned train (nonstop leaving at 2pm) wasn't showing up anymore on my app; I then updated the app and searched that route again and that train was no longer listed, I am guessing it was cancelled? Anyway, now I am getting super paranoid about our train rides because I guess as this is the low season, they occasionally cancel trains? I have never had this happen before, but maybe because I would just book trains right before leaving.

Anyway, sorry for the long question, but I found a new train showing up on my Eurail app from Salzburg to Heidelberg (13:00-17:34; 13:00 Salzburg to Muenchen Hbf on RJX 60, 14:28 Meunchen to Mannheim, ICE 914, and then 17:23 Mannheim to Heidelberg on IC 2046).

Are you seeing these trains running on Nov 25th on the sites you usually book tickets? Or do you think these are available? I am not seeing them on some sites but I thought maybe they are sold out, in which case can we just stand on some of them as we have the Eurailpass so are guaranteed to be able to ride the train but not necessarily sit?
What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by ralderton 27 October 2023, 01:31

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The best place to check on up to date timetables is the German or Austrian railway website at www.bahn.com or www.oebb.at . The Eurail app can be out of date when timetables change.

These trains don’t have compulsory reservation, so they can’t ‘sell out’. You can always board and find an empty seat, or stand if you have to. Normally there is at least somewhere to sit in the restaurant car.

I see a direct train from Salzburg to Heidelberg at 1256. You can make a seat reservation for €3 at https://shop.oebbtickets.at/en/ticket

It’s quite slow though. There are quicker indirect trains via Munich and Mannheim as you’ve found. But I don’t see a 1300 train from Salzburg to Munich

Thanks so much for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The direct train takes the beautiful route through the Arlberg region. If you haven't been on that one it could be a nice experience. :)

But it's definitely faster to take the (likely crowded) regional trains to Munich.

What's weird is that the RJX trains stop as usual in Salzburg that day (coming from Vienna) but you can't board the train there... I guess it's to prevent people from using it, is there an event going on ?

On Saturdays I'd try to make reservations yes. Use ÖBB as advised.