Solved

Eurail Question from Paris to Luzern

• 20 March 2023
  • 6 replies

I booked reservations from Paris to Luzern.  It's three legs - Paris to Mulhouse, Mulhouse to Basel, then Basel to Luzern.  When I bought the ticket on Eurail, the reservation on the ticket only said it was to Mulhouse.  However, when I look at the ticket on my eurail account, it says "ready to board" for those last two legs.  Just concerned  my ticket does not reflect all of the way to Luzern.

icon

Best answer by ralderton 20 March 2023, 15:17

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You don’t need reservations on the Mulhouse to Basel train (TER) or in Switzerland, so you’re good!

Make sure all three trains are showing in your pass diary - they are the ‘ticket’.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Reservations in Switzerland (Basel-Luzern) aren't needed either. You can book reservations for Swiss IC trains (and maybe IR) but IMO that's a waste of money.

You don’t need reservations on the Mulhouse to Basel train (TER) or in Switzerland, so you’re good!

Make sure all three trains are showing in your pass diary - they are the ‘ticket’.

So the “piece of paper” I received is ONLY my seat reservation?  Here’s what it says in my Eurail.com account but if I tried to book it again, below is what it says.  Help me understand.  Thank you.

But am concerned the ticket and my reservation only shows thru Mulhouse.  When I try to book it again, this is what it says.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

But am concerned the ticket and my reservation only shows thru Mulhouse.  When I try to book it again, this is what it says.

Hello @Nancy Heap Caesar,

It is true that the seat reservation is only for TGV6703 from Paris Gare de Lyon to Mulhouse Ville. In addition, as what @ralderton & @rvdborgt said that reservations are not needed for the last 2 legs. You can just hop on those 2 trains and sit on the free seats there. Please make sure that the journeys are saved in My Trip on the app.

Please check the image below showing that the reservation is only purchased for the 1st leg.

I hope the explanation is clear for you. Have a nice day!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

This is somewhat basic so apologies if it is patronising.

A mobile Global Pass operates via the Rail Planner App. Each pass has a single Trip attached to it. The Trip acts as a diary of trains you intend travelling on and can be added to or deleted at any time, either by selecting it from the planner section or adding it manually. This is not a ticket to travel. Each individual train needs to appear so if you plan A to C with a change at B then you need to show the details for train A to B and train B to C.

Until you activate the pass that is all you can do. Once activated each train in the Trip will show a greyed out slider that will transfer the details to your pass and create a valid travel ticket. This consists of a QR code and it will build up a list of that day’s trains below the QR code. So for the above example your pass will show a travel day for the current date, A QR code for that day and a list of A to B and B to C. 
To travel on any eligible train your pass must show an active Travel Day, a QR code that is specific to the current date and the specific train listed below the QR code.

Note if you have travelled A to B and then decide to travel by an alternative train or even a complete change of B to D, you simply remove the original train and add the new one to your trip and then operate the slider for the new train.

It sounds complicated but all it is doing is the same as a paper pass where you write each train into the pass for inspection. No train listed means no right to travel.

So effectively with a Global Pass you need separate tickets, not one from A to C.

Reservations are always separate from your ticket to travel and when mandatory you need BOTH proof of reservation and a valid pass, as above. So if A to B requires a reservation but B to C doesn’t then that shows in the planner, as your plan shows.

Note you cannot buy a single reservation for a multi train journey, even if all trains have the option for reservation. If you do source it in one order you will still have separate reservations for each one. Some operators will combine them as one journey e.g. in Germany, but each train will show its own seating positions. For these you still have to detail each individual train in the Global Pass.