Solved

Eurostar/country of residence

Hi, Sorry I know this has been asked in 100s of different iterations, but none-the less…..

If I want to travel from York to London on day 1, stay overnight, then get the eurostar from London to Paris on day 2 (the next morning). Is this classed as 2 days of travel in country of residence or 1?

Thanks in advance

edit - to clarify, I am later returning on the eurostar to London, then onward to york (this time in a single day). So i want to check if i am using more travel than allowed in the country of residence. 

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 4 May 2022, 15:44

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If I want to travel from York to London on day 1, stay overnight, then get the eurostar from London to Paris on day 2 (the next morning). Is this classed as 2 days of travel in country of residence or 1?

That would us up 2 travel days, both in your country of residence, so it would use both of your inbound/outbound journeys and you'd have none left.

edit - to clarify, I am later returning on the eurostar to London, then onward to york (this time in a single day). So i want to check if i am using more travel than allowed in the country of residence.

That would not be possible anymore. If you really need 3 travel days in your country of residence, then check which one is the cheapest with a normal ticket and use the pass for the 2 most expensive ones.

Thank You, thats what I thought. 

seems a shame that if you live very far from the rail border, you are effectively penalised, I get they dont want you to use it as an internal rail pass, but a bit of flex to get door to door would be good. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There are many connections from York to Paris in less than 6 h, if I looked at the York that you are referring to, so there no need use 2 travel days for one journey in the UK.

Bit rude, the question of need is probably best left to the informed party. Have a thought for people whose circumstances dont mirror your own. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Bit rude, the question of need is probably best left to the informed party. Have a thought for people whose circumstances dont mirror your own. Thanks

The Inbound / Outbound traveldays are technically to leave the country if you decide due your personal circumstances that you wanna stay one night in London you have to pay for one of your 3 trips in the UK (I assume the York - London connection will be cheaper) :)

Many years even inbound / outbound days weren´t included and iam lucky that they are since about 8 years. :)

There are other countries that have more problems with the Inbound/Outbound days.
Germany for example if you are in Switzerland and wanna go to Netherlands or Belgium the cheapeast way with Interrail is through Germany. The route via France is quite more expensive as you need 2 International Highspeed reservation of arround 30€ per train instead of the optional 4€ reservation on the way through Germany.

And York is quite not far from the Railborder :) what about Inverness or Fort William or Holyhead in Wales. Other example is Interrailer from Sicily (Italy) it´s very difficult to get out of Italy by train with just one travelday.

Kind Regards and hopefully you will enjoy your Journey with Interrail. 🙂