Solved

Exchange reservations in Italy

Hi guys, I've been reading in the forum that it is possible to exchange reservations in Italy and other countries if the reservation exceeds €10, but I can't find the platform to do it.

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Camilo. 29 November 2022, 17:03

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Platf is where trains depart from (arrive too).

Think out of the box-forget your holy fone: its antique, old fashioned. Its done by someone working for the railways at a counter in a stazione. In fact it seems (have myself not been there since before covid-now plans for autumn), as angelo, another very frequent&more knowledgeable ITalian says: at main stops there will be a last-minute desk-also for people who indeed do that: last min. ticket buying (hence also forfeiting all these silly fears that trains are full monthes ahead): thats the place to go to. For a bit more advance: the normal counters.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Hi guys, I've been reading in the forum that it is possible to exchange reservations in Italy and other countries if the reservation exceeds €10, but I can't find the platform to do it.

Thanks in advance!

If I'm right, you can exchange your tickets for travel in Italy, but not request a refund for tickets up to 10 euros.

Where you bought your tickets, you have to ask if you can exchange your purchased tickets.

I booked all my reservations through Eurail.com (I have 9 reservations in France and Italy, and each one is for 4 adults) PLEASE HELP. Though I purchased through Eurail, must I create a log-in for each railway company, or each adult, and request an exchange for each?

Please help me know how I might exchange my current reservations for a new one, if possible, through eurail. They have an option to cancel for a refund of 75% but I don’t want a refund, I need the current reservations, I just need to add our two children for all 9 reservations… <sadface>

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Your post has confused me. If all you want is to add 2 reservations for trains you currently intend travelling on why not just buy the extras?  

I understand that you may want to sit together when you are travelling, but since seating is usually in 4s or 2s the six would be split anyway. You can decide who sits in which seat.

If the train is not full you can normally change seats with no difficulty, and I have heard advice on here that you can ask others if they will move, but by no means a guarantee of success.

Your post has confused me. If all you want is to add 2 reservations for trains you currently intend travelling on why not just buy the extras?  

I understand that you may want to sit together when you are travelling, but since seating is usually in 4s or 2s the six would be split anyway. You can decide who sits in which seat.

If the train is not full you can normally change seats with no difficulty, and I have heard advice on here that you can ask others if they will move, but by no means a guarantee of success.

You might have missed the last line, it is two seats for children under 9yo. I thought they would just ride with us, but learned I had to have two additional reservations. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I am sorry I confused you.

I hadn’t missed that the extra seats were for children, but in the event that exchanging a group of 4 for a group of 6 may be difficult, and even if you were placed in a 2 and a 4 in the same carriage then 2 would still be seated separately.

I merely meant that as the six reservations were not assigned to specific names you could choose who sat with who.

To give up your existing reservations if an exchange is not possible and rebook as sixes may still end up you being split, although operators do try to seat groups together.

Hence my suggestion that you keep your current book 2 extra tickets and choose where each of you sit.

You can of course still check at the station before departure if they can reseat you as a group. Also once on the train if it is not too busy you can move to any unreserved seats.

I hope you are successful in your challenge.

@Yorkie 

Thank you. The cost for a child reservation is much less than an adult. I did not know they would let me book two child seats with no adult. I hope that is true if everything else is a dead-end.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you. The cost for a child reservation is much less than an adult. I did not know they would let me book two child seats with no adult.

Usually it's the same price. In night trains children can sometimes be cheaper and Deutsche Bahn includes children for free for optional reservations. But DB doesn't exchange reservations. For more advice, we need to know the trains you want to book (with routes, dates, departure times).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Yorkie

Thank you. The cost for a child reservation is much less than an adult. I did not know they would let me book two child seats with no adult. I hope that is true if everything else is a dead-end.

It is the same price for all reservations. No matter if adult or child. But don't make the reservations through Eurail as they charge 2 EUR extra per train and person.

What route are you making reservations for?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @Carles 

Most of the reservation through Eurail are not refundable nor exchangeable. There are, however, a few exceptions depending on the specific conditions of the railway company. For example: Thalys (one change for free for time and date but no destination) and domestic trains in Italy only FrecciaRossa, FrecciaBianca, Frecciargento. For other reservations, customers must contact the railway companies or change it directly at the train station, if the conditions apply. 

Have a lovely day!