Solved

Free reservation exchange (Amsterdam – Paris with Thalys)

• 20 August 2022
  • 4 replies

The train I made a reservation for got cancelled by Thalys and I received the information per email that I can get a free exchange or refund. The train departs at Amsterdam Centraal on the 15th of September and goes to Paris North.

When I want to cancel my reservation, I would only get back 75% of the reservation costs and the database still shows this train even though it got cancelled, so I assume that is why I am not able to get back the full cost yet.

I already sent a request to the customer service two days ago; however, I can’t estimate how long I must wait for a response. Since this is a popular (and pricy) route and requires a reservation and there is less than a month left, should I already make a new reservation for an earlier train and then hope to get back full refund later or should I just wait for customer service to reach back to me?

Other suggestions are appreciated as well! :)

icon

Best answer by Angelo 20 August 2022, 09:32

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

This is an official answer of Eurail Staff in an other topic. 

This is an official answer of Eurail Staff in an other topic. 

Thank you for your answer, but that is not the exact question I asked. I already contacted customer service. My question is if I should already make a new reservation or just wait as that train route is popular and requieres reservation - so if someone has experiences with this situation :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

IF you insist on taking this train-Th, and not the much cheaper ALtern., then yes, as all Th have mandatory RES and also small quota for passholders-it may very well mean that the quota is used up but there are still expensive other seats. PLUS that TH suffers from many sets out of use due to missing parts and too little staff to do the repairs (or like that)

ALT; Th from Brussel only (many more) and use slower hourly BeNeLux to there

ALT2: BeNeLux to Antwerpen-you have 18 mins to also admire this railway cathedral station-find hourly train to LILLE-(in FR) and hourly TGV (often other station close by) from there.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

It seems like we recently managed to re-book this for you. In the event of a cancellation by the railway, we offer a 100% refund on the reservation itself, the €2 booking fee is non-refundable. For any other travelers in the same position, you are welcome to make a new booking yourself and request a refund on the initial reservation in retrospect.