from Helsinki to Vilnius

• 11 December 2021
  • 8 replies

• Right on track
  • 4 replies

Hello everybody,

i hope that you’re traveling well !

i have a question, I have to travel from Helsinki to Vilnius (Lithuania) at the 20 of deciember and I didn’t find any train on the application.

i also check seat61.com but I didn’t find anything.

can you help me please ? 
thank you very much

Momo with peace 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

currently quite bad connection (by rail)

Bestway currently by Bus (for example LuxExpress) from Talinn to Vilnius

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You will have noted there is also a sea in between and alas, in these 3 baltic states INTernational trains are very, very sparse or non-existent.

IF you really do not want to fly, then its MUCH better to use a direct BUS from Tallinn-in fact most of these buses run onward to Poland and via Riga-Kaunas. Pre-covid pandemic there wer several different ferry links and also at least 3 different BUScompanies doing these trips-use google to find out current situation.

To go by train will take at least 1,5 full day longer, 3 or 4 changes and cannot be done every day. Also in some places a HTL will be needed en-route.

You will hence also understand that any rail pass is simply a waste of time and money for this

Userlevel 3
Badge

If I had to travel from Helsinki to Vilnius, I would also consider a direct flight from Finnair, for example.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In addition, the Baltic railways don't send their timetable data to the European Timetable Centre so no other planner than their own contains the trains in the Baltic countries. And the trains are pretty cheap too but not really good for international travel because they don't connect well.

currently quite bad connection (by rail)

Bestway currently by Bus (for example LuxExpress) from Talinn to Vilnius

Thank you for yours advices, I gonna check the offers of bus there :)

Peace 

In addition, the Baltic railways don't send their timetable data to the European Timetable Centre so no other planner than their own contains the trains in the Baltic countries. And the trains are pretty cheap too but not really good for international travel because they don't connect well.

Thank you for your respond. I gonna check on their websites, mabe i find somethings.

peace 

You will have noted there is also a sea in between and alas, in these 3 baltic states INTernational trains are very, very sparse or non-existent.

IF you really do not want to fly, then its MUCH better to use a direct BUS from Tallinn-in fact most of these buses run onward to Poland and via Riga-Kaunas. Pre-covid pandemic there wer several different ferry links and also at least 3 different BUScompanies doing these trips-use google to find out current situation.

To go by train will take at least 1,5 full day longer, 3 or 4 changes and cannot be done every day. Also in some places a HTL will be needed en-route.

You will hence also understand that any rail pass is simply a waste of time and money for this

Thank you for all this informations. I gonna check the bus or mabe the plan, it’s more interesting 😊

peace 

If I had to travel from Helsinki to Vilnius, I would also consider a direct flight from Finnair, for example.

Thank you for this recommendation, I gonna check quickly.

peace