Hi to everyone! We are a family of 3 & plan to get the EuroRail Pass to cover different countries in Europe. We plan to get 1st class (for cross border routes) & 2nd class (for within the country routes). May I get clarifications & suggestions on the following:
- If the route does not require seat reservation, will we still need booking or reservation for the trip? Or we can just board the train & choose any seats. In such case, how do we know the seats are not reserved?
- Can seat reservations be done done online (unless otherwise specified)?
- There are some routes that require some kind of “tariff or supplemental fee” How much are these generally and where can these fees be seen.
- There are some routes with limited EuroRail allocation. How can we ensure we can get into such trip using the EuroRail pass.
- In case you miss the train where you have a seat reservation, can you use it for another time slot?
- Is it advisable to make the seat reservation considering the cost? What are the chances we will still be able to get seats without reservation.
Sorry, it’s quite long. Thanks in advance. Keep safe.
3. Not all traincompanies are fully part of the network and offer discounts for Railpassholders for example Interlaken - Lauterbrunnen offer a 25% discount
Another example are the OBB (Austrian Rail) Daytrains from Germany/Austria to Italy they charge a supplement of 10€ in 2nd Clasd and 15€ in 1st class.
To get it right you wanna buy 2 different passes for everyone? A 1st classpass and a 2nd Class pass?
For the most Routes there is no bih difference on Reservations between 1st class and 2nd Class (forexample Italy both 10€ for Highspeed Services or TGV wirhin France 10€(limited) or 20€ :) with a 1st class pass you always have the choice if you wanna use 1st or 2nd class :) and which Class depends in my experience by the country :) As in some countries there is only just more legroom between the seats and in other countries you get even a complimentary meal service ar your seat. (UK)
Or a standard at the seat service from the dinning car (still have to pay for the meal but you can eat it at your seat and no need to go to the dinning coach by yourself :) )
If you don't find your train, then please ask a specific question.