Solved

German Rail Pass to cross the border

• 17 September 2022
  • 6 replies

I have some questions about the limitations of the use of German rail pass.

I understand tourist can use this pass including some designated neighborhood countries like Austria, Belgium and so forth.

But I wonder whether I can cross the border from anywhere in Germany. 
If not,  can't I use the pass from only particular stations  in Germany?
And can I use the pass only from Germany when I cross the border ? Like from Paris to Frankfurt am Main is not included?

My plannning I am worried about is as follows ;

Paris → Frankfurt am Main 
Dresden→Praha
Hallstatt→München
Köln→Amsterdam

Are these cases like above included in German Rail Pass?

If someone knows, please let me know.

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 17 September 2022, 07:44

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The validity of the Germany  pass is listed here:

https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes/german-rail-pass

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I have some questions about the limitations of the use of German rail pass.

I understand tourist can use this pass including some designated neighborhood countries like Austria, Belgium and so forth.

But I wonder whether I can cross the border from anywhere in Germany. 
If not,  can't I use the pass from only particular stations  in Germany?
And can I use the pass only from Germany when I cross the border ? Like from Paris to Frankfurt am Main is not included?

My plannning I am worried about is as follows ;

Paris → Frankfurt am Main 
Dresden→Praha
Hallstatt→München
Köln→Amsterdam

Are these cases like above included in German Rail Pass?

If someone knows, please let me know.

None of those trips are included in the German Rail pass. You need a global pass for those trips.

Or rather, the travel from the German border point is included but not the part outside Germany.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Only included outside Germany are the stations of Basel Bad Bf (Switzerland) and Salzburg Hbf (Austria). And the ICE services to Brussel and Liege (Belgium), and the DB-ÖBB EC Munich-Innsbruck-Bolzano/Bozen-Verona-Venezia-Bologna (Austria/Italy).

Thank you for your reply.

So, it means that Praha and Amsterdam are not included and that the any departure points are OK in Germany, doesn't it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thank you for your reply.

So, it means that Praha and Amsterdam are not included and that the any departure points are OK in Germany, doesn't it?

The travels within Germany are ok as long as you don't use night trains. Night trains are not included in the German Rail Pass.

There might be small private railways in Germany that not are included but you can travel with most trains in Germany with the German Rail Pass.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Kon nichi wa! IF you intend to visit all these places also, then buy global pass. Plan carefully and it will not even cost much more as German Rail Pass.

Also note that tickets from/to border tariff points are very hard to get, and only at full fare. This means the German SparPreise (savings prices) do not apply-these are often substantially lower priced. f.e. the full trip Kóln-Ams will cost from 19.90 (if lucky)-which is in fact less as the applicable dutch tariff Full fare Border (Emmerich)-Amsterdam.

Besides global pass for all of EURope the 1country passes are only valid in 1. But Germany is a little bit if exception as they also allow a very few lines, only those with German trains and running as commercial mostly via DB, outside Germany. Most lines are shared with the other railways.