Solved

Getting resevations for more than one train as a safety measure by short stopovers.

• 4 February 2024
  • 12 replies

We are plannig a trip from Germany (Hannover) to Spain (Malaga). On the Route that we wish to take there is one stopover which does not leave much time to change trains. As we are aware that the German trains are often late we are worried about making our connecting train that requires a reservation. Is it possable (and meaningful) to buy reservations for the following train as well as the train that we are hoping to take?

Thank you in advance.

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 4 February 2024, 10:24

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You could get reservations for the next one but it'd be a waste of money in my opinion.

Speak to staff onboard the delayed train, get a proof of delay and then you'll be able to board the next available train by speaking to staff. Available means 1st class, 2nd class and even folding seats. Ideally it works like that.

Last month I got a "permit to travel" on the following TGV due to a 2h delay. It was specifically mentioned that a seat wasn't guaranteed but that I was allowed onboard (train was empty in the end).

What is your journey like ? I'd have a 1h margin after a cross-country ICE for an international train.

I am worried that the french controllers will not except the german “proof”. As I will be travelling with my older sister who I invited on the trip I would rather not risk folding seats.

Du hast ja kein Datum dazugeschrieben, aber in den letzten 30 Tagen hätte der Anschluss in Basel SBB an 11 Tagen (!) funktioniert. In den meisten Fällen übrigens gar nicht nur wegen der Verspätung, sondern weil es der ICE gleich gar nicht bis Basel SBB geschafft hat (wobei da natürlich auch ein paar Streiktage dabei waren).

Trotzdem (persönliche Meinung): Mit den hier beschriebenen Einschränkungen würde ich die Verbindung so gar nicht buchen, sondern früher nach Basel fahren. Theoretisch kann man in den TGV nach Avignon auch schon in Straßburg einsteigen, aber das macht die Verbindung eigentlich auch nur ansatzweise stabiler und verteuert das Ganze.

Wenn es keine so frühe Abfahrt sein soll: Um 10.41 Uhr nach Frankfurt und von dort mit dem direkten TGV nach Avignon (je nach Datum). Immerhin eine Stunde schneller und trotzdem mit großzügigem Umstieg von 56 Minuten in Frankfurt (und der TGV fängt auch dort an).

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Totally agree with Hektor. Better play it safe with ICEs these days. The Ruhr area is even more prone to delays so I'd take a train via Kassel if possible.

Btw do you want to take the direct AVE to Barcelona/Madrid the following day ? Be aware that online reservations for this train are impossible (thanks RENFE...). Only possible at Spanish train stations or on the platform on the day (10€). 

This works in practice as they can even sell folding seats if needed but I don't know if you can access the platform in Avignon TGV without a reservation. Does someone know ?

Thinking of an alternative : as it would mean a very early start in Hannover you could consider a night train from Paris to the Spanish border (Latour, Cerbère, Hendaye depending on dates). This could be convenient! :)

Thanks for your answers!

Hektor: That connection in Frankfurt looks good. It would also be easy to take a train one hour earlier to be a bit more on the safe side. I somehow got stuck with Basel to avoid Paris and the station change there.

thibcabe: yes, we were planning on the AVE. A few months ago you wrote that one can get reservations though DB in Germany. Is that still true?

Peter

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

thibcabe: yes, we were planning on the AVE. A few months ago you wrote that one can get reservations though DB in Germany. Is that still true?

That is only the case for domestic Spanish trains. The international AVEs can only be booked by Renfe, since they still haven't sent the data to the system (Hermes) from which their domestic trains are booked.

thibcabe wrote:

Btw do you want to take the direct AVE to Barcelona/Madrid the following day ? Be aware that online reservations for this train are impossible (thanks RENFE...). Only possible at Spanish train stations or on the platform on the day (10€).

I am getting someone in spain to see about making reservations for me. Then I tripped over the words “on the day”. I assume that does not apply to the booking of reservations in a ticket office in spain.(?) Thought I might check here before sending him off.

Thanks again in advance!

Peter

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

thibcabe wrote:

I am getting someone in spain to see about making reservations for me. Then I tripped over the words “on the day”. I assume that does not apply to the booking of reservations in a ticket office in spain.(?)

Reservations can indeed be booked at a ticket office in Spain in advance.

The thing is though that Renfe ticket office staff often want to see the pass, even with an active travel day (which is useless since you can and should deactivate future travel days). They do need your name and pass number for the reservation. Maybe it helps if you send a screenshot to the person making the reservation for you.

So although it is possible to let someone else book your reservation, it is not guaranteed to work. What you could also try is pre-book by phone (+34 91 232 03 20) and then have a friend collect (and pay) for the reservation at the Renfe ticket office within 72 hours after pre-booking and also at least 24 hours before departure time.

Once the reservation has been collected, you can load it into the Renfe app using the booking reference.

so I would need to load the Renfe App or is it possable to get papier reservations?

Peter

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

so I would need to load the Renfe App or is it possable to get papier reservations?

You'll get a paper reservation at the ticket office. But I was taking into account you might not see your friend before you take the AVE in France.

good old mail (without the e-)

Peter

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Peter

You can get these tickets through the Renfe app as PDF's onto your phone with the localizer. 

The thing is though that Renfe ticket office staff often want to see the pass, even with an active travel day (which is useless since you can and should deactivate future travel days). They do need your name and pass number for the reservation. Maybe it helps if you send a screenshot to the person making the reservation for you.

They have been clearly instructed to see the pass. Sometimes that has resulted in a refusal to accept on the basis of screenshots ("the clock has to move"), other times it has worked. You'll also need to send along a picture of your ID.