Solved

Got a 1st class seat reservation but own a 2nd class pass - Thalys

• 9 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi, we are planning to travel from Brussels to Paris (13.08.2022 / 7.13 pm) with Thalys and called the customer service for seat reservations. But, I just realised that they gave us 1st class seat and now I can not call them again. 

Anyone has the same experience? How did it go? I saw a post that someone can still board the train but need to pay the differences. However, I wonder how much the differences will be? 

Any prompt response or suggestion will be very much appreciated since the travel date is coming soon and we will be travelling with a baby. 

Thanks all and have a good day!

icon

Best answer by cdwatkins19 9 August 2022, 21:45

View original

5 replies

Badge +5

You need to contact the office that arranged your reservations. You cannot travel in first class with a second class pass. You will be charged the full first class fare for the journey and possibly a penalty for boarding without a ticket.

Hi thanks very much for your reply.

Well noted, I will try to call them again tomorrow. What is your suggestion if I can’t get in touch with them? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You did not clearly tell which ´service´ that was-IF it was Thalys itself-well you were able to contact them for the RES, nah?

So first ask them why they did not inform you better and then ask what to do to pay for upgrade 2nd->1st. Doing this advance will always be cheaper-but not ´cheap´ as such though.

THls at the mo has loads of cancellations and porblems due to many trainsets out of service due to repairs and no parts for that.

IF the extra sum is too high for you, insist o complete refund (they will try to fob off with vouhcers for next trip) and arrange the slower but more sure way: local UN RES train to LIlle-then hourly FRench SNCF TGV to Paris (over the same hi-speed rails as Tls uses) to P-but then you again need to RES this-best to call SNCF.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Certainly for TGV and possibly Thalys too you can upgrade to 1st class with a 2nd pass interrail. The price will be (slightly) higher than the reservation costs.

You did not clearly tell which ´service´ that was-IF it was Thalys itself-well you were able to contact them for the RES, nah?

So first ask them why they did not inform you better and then ask what to do to pay for upgrade 2nd->1st. Doing this advance will always be cheaper-but not ´cheap´ as such though.

THls at the mo has loads of cancellations and porblems due to many trainsets out of service due to repairs and no parts for that.

IF the extra sum is too high for you, insist o complete refund (they will try to fob off with vouhcers for next trip) and arrange the slower but more sure way: local UN RES train to LIlle-then hourly FRench SNCF TGV to Paris (over the same hi-speed rails as Tls uses) to P-but then you again need to RES this-best to call SNCF.

Certainly for TGV and possibly Thalys too you can upgrade to 1st class with a 2nd pass interrail. The price will be (slightly) higher than the reservation costs.

Hi, I have called them and it is not possible to upgrade from 2nd class to 1st class by phone. Do you think I just go with the ticket reservation or is it to risky?