Solved

High seat reservations Paris - Spiez

Badge

Trying to get a train from Paris to Spiez, Switzerland on July 21st for 2 people. I have a 3 month eurail pass. Are they serious about these prices?! $374 total?! 

Also, when I try booking the site messes up every time and take me back to the homepage and never lets me complete purchase. Help! 

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 2 July 2022, 09:00

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Those prices seem very high.

Where are you trying to make the reservation?

What departure time from Paris?

Badge

@AnnaB thank you for your response. I am trying to make the reservation on here, but also went to Frances train website and it was saying same prices. The time we were going to leave was 11:20 and arrive at 17:00. It said the price was only 10 euros the other day, but all the prices are hundreds of dollars now?! At this point we will leave Paris at any time on July 21st if we can find cheaper tickets than hundreds of dollars. Is it a glitch? 

im also seeing on the French train website there’s seats still available and they’re not sold out. I’m so confused lol

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

On the TGV there are pass holder seats for 10 EUR and 20 EUR. Only the 10 EUR seats can be bought through the Interrail/Eurail as there is a bug in the system not showing the 20 EUR pass holder seats. Now there seems to be another bug showing the normal prices instead of no seats available or the 20 EUR seats.

@rvdborgt @seewulf 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you have an American Express card you can call SNCF.  

https://www.sncf.com/en/customer-service/contact-us/telephone

Press #85 for English, no booking fees, reservations are sent via e-mail. Not all credit cards are accepted.

Badge

@AnnaB thank you! Do you have any ideas of when the bugs will be fixed because I don’t have American Express :/ and do they charge money for phone calls from the US or is there a toll free number 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I can't reproduce that. I see the normal pass prices, whether I choose EUR or USD in 1st or in 2nd class.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Alternatively, you should be able to book by phone via NS. They're not so picky about the credit cards they accept and there should not be any booking fee since you can't book pass reservations on the NS website.

By the way, no reservations are needed for the domestic Swiss train(s) to Spiez.

Badge

@rvdborgt @AnnaB thank you both so much! Any knowing of when the bugs on this website will be fixed? I will be charged for calling an international number so i’d rather not 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

​​​​Any knowing of when the bugs on this website will be fixed?

Hard to say. Before they can fix a bug, they must first be able to reproduce and when I can't, they possibly can't either.

Is this for 1st class? 2nd class? Have you already activated your passes or not? If so, with what start date?

Badge

@rvdborgt Okay, 2nd class and pass is activated. Start date is July 21st. Do you think it’s worth paying the international phone call prices because of seat reservations selling out? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@rvdborgt Okay, 2nd class and pass is activated. Start date is July 21st. Do you think it’s worth paying the international prices because of seat reservations selling out? 

The 11:20 train is a TGV to Mulhouse. It currently has pass holder seats for 10€ per person and is far from being sold out. When the 10€ pass holder seats sell out, the price wil become 20€ per person until the train is full. So there's no reason to buy a normal ticket.

Badge

@rvdborgt thank you! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Another things to try: clear the browser cache and the cookies for eurail.com.

Book on the Belgian railways website. Price is the same and there's a 4€ booking fee per order (Eurail charges an extra 2€ per person and seat so that's the same in this case). You do need a pass cover number to book there, which by default is only on the paper pass cover. 

To get a pass cover number for a mobile pass, you need to contact Customer Support through this form:

https://eurail.zendesk.com/hc/en-001/requests/new

Customer Support is currently overloaded with requests so you will probably have to be patient to get help. Please let Customer Support know what date your trip will start so that they can prioritise your request correctly.