How do multileg-multi trips work in interrail portal reservation, and findings so far. Hamburg-Kiruna

Hello,

The questions below refer to the seat reservation in the interrail portal. Assume traject Hamburg-Stockholm August 4 departure 10:53, Stockholm-Kiruna august 5 departure 18:11)

1.Whenever I make a reservation in interrail portal that combines several legs from different train operators all involving reservations: do either all of them succeed or all of them fail, or either some of them succeed (and I am charged for) and some not?

2. In the case that the there are several trips, (e.g. Hamburg-Stockholm on august 4, and Stockholm-Kiruna on 5th), each trip added separately in the cart, do all of them success, or in could be that some of them succeed and some others do not?

Below it is my understanding of how the reservations work. Maybe it could help some other people . Please correct me if I am wrong

1.An overview of the availability of seats/couchetes is not always provided in the interrail reservation page. (e.g. it may allow you to book). However, you need to commit to the reservation to know if it would work or not. Of course if it does not work, it may hinder your trip and let you with a leg booked and other not. (therefore the questions above).You can check whether in principle there is availability with the operators websites and when you have found a valid combination, go to the interrail reservation site and make the reservation with some degree of trust it will work.

2.Bahn.de may not allow to make a reservation (reservation impossible). Check then in the information of each leg which is the train operator and use this information to ask for availability and eventually reservation in the operator website.

3.Getting a seat reservation in companies pages depends on the traject and the train operator. For the same traject there maybe several possible operators and if reservations. Each operator portal has its own caveats in order to get the seat reservation work so check their help page.

Stockholm Kiruna, https://www.snalltaget.se/en (it seems there is a number of reserved places with interrail. if those are not available, they only offer full price. If a leg is in another company (e.g. SJ or VY) they only offer full price and no seat reservation)

stockhol-Hamburg nighttrain https://www.snalltaget.se/en (however notice that you can also go Hambrug Copenhagen with DSB and Copenhagen -Stockholm with SJ). both can be booked

Stockholm - Malmö/Copenhagen: book via SJ. (accepts seat reservation)

Copenhagen - Hamburg: book via DSB. (accepts seat reservation)

Thank you

Javier

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

For Kiruna - Stockholm you make the reservation at sj.se

Thanks Anna. For sure the interrail portal for reservations is to be improved. Up to date information of seat/couchette availability PRIOR to the booking payment is a must. If this were working it would be more convenient that dealing with each of the operators websites with its own caveats.

Is there any of my findings actually wrong?

Best

Javier

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes, snalltaget runs the private overnight trains STo-via HH=Hamburg to Berlin (and in winter to ski-palces in Austria). Norrlandstaget is run now by vy.se (this is norw. railways)-contract changes often.

ALL direct trains (very few, and short) HH-K/obenhavn MUST be REServed summer-and many are full the coming 2-3 weeks-all those Svenskarna going home and not flying. Can avoid it by using multiple local trains-change Flensburg-Padborg-Fredericia. Check if your date has a few seats left-do it on dsb.dk-cost 30DKK

It is always much better to not RES via app, but via sites concerned -the list of seewulf that anna links into

Can avoid it by using multiple local trains-change Flensburg-Padborg-Fredericia. Check if your date has a few seats left-do it on dsb.dk-cost 30DKK

Flensburg -> Fredericia + Fredericia -> Copenhagen costs 60DKK or am I not understanding something?

... many are full the coming 2-3 weeks-all those Svenskarna going home and not flying.

I am sure you mean well but I want to spell it out that the blame is not to be put on the people that refuse to fly. The blame is to be put on the various causes other than demand that have reduced train availability. The general cause is a massive redirection of investment, investment that should have gone to train transportation, to more “convenient” but environment-destroying plane transportation.