Solved

How many days Eurail Global Pass is worth it for below trip and do i need to make reservation for all the trains?

• 27 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi, I’m Siva here. I’m planning for a Solo trip to Europe from 20th May to 9th June. I’m a bit lost on deciding whether to take 15 day for 2 months or 22 days for 1 month. Below are the countries I’m planning to go. Do i need to reserve the seats for all the trains? And what happens when i don't reserve a seat for non mandatory?

Flying in to Rome (20th May)

Rome (20th - 22nd May) > Florence (22nd - 23rd May) > Venice (23rd May) > Milan (23rd - 24th May) > Tirano (24th - 25th May) > Chur (25th May) > Zurich (25th - 26th May) > Lucerne (26th - 27th May) > Interlaken (27th - 28th May) > Lauterbrunnen (28th -29th May) > Jungfraujoch (29th May) > Lauterbrunnen (29th -30th May) > Paris (30th May - 2nd June) > London (2nd - 3rd June) > Manchester (3rd June) > London (3rd - 5th June) > Brussels (5th - 7th June) > Amsterdam (7th - 9th June) 

Flying back home from Amsterdam (9th June)

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 27 April 2023, 20:35

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Can't help about the pass. I'd buy the longest one because you might use it in Switzerland a lot, even for day trips. But a 15-day pass might be enough as you won't use it in cities. Make your calculations.

Book seat reservations for Eurostar ASAP. All other ones can wait. There is a limited quota and seats can sell out weeks in advance. There is no availability on 2nd June between Paris and London. You'll have to go via Lille (TGV 10-20€ + Eurostar 30€)

Check availability more easily here : https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish

Tirano is not worth a night. Milan - Chur is an easy journey, you could stay somewhere in the Engadin Valley but not necessary

Set one single base in Berner Oberland : either Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen. 25% discount from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen/Jungfraujoch. Boat rides on Lake Thun and Brienz included

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, mostly i will be using the pass daily in Switzerland and Italy. But other cities i wont be able to use right for Metro/Tram? In that case i will go for 15 days. 

Okay, i will purchase the pass and proceed with the bookings.

Yes agree Tirano is not worth a night. But i have to because the next day morning 8am im taking bernina express to Chur.

I’m staying 1 night in Interlake​n and 2 nights in Lauterbrunnen. I will check out the boat rides.​​​​​​
Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes a 15-day pass will do fine in that case.

There is a Bernina Express at 14:24 if you'd like. In any case take the reservation-free coaches and do not pay 19 CHF, it's a waste of money. Regular carriages are less crowded and have pull-down windows (better for pics). You could make a stop in Alp Grüm for an hour, it's very scenic. There are also hourly regional trains.

Seat reservations you'd need :

- Rome - Florence 10€

- Florence - Venice 10€

- Venice - Milan 10€ 

These should be bought on tickets.oebb.at (no booking fee) : add Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets

- Interlaken area : 25% discount. Buy at the train station there (tickets cannot sell out)

- do not pay 37€ for the cross-border TGV between Basel and Paris. Instead take any TGV between Mulhouse/Strasbourg and Paris -> limited 10€, then 20€

- Eurostar Lille - London + London - Brussels : 2 x 30€

- Brussels - Amsterdam hourly reservation-free IC train (way better than 27€ for Thalys high-speed train)