Solved

How to book for Zerrmatt - Grindelwald and Grindelwald - Zurich?

• 27 July 2022
  • 2 replies

Dear  fellow travellers ,

my son and I bought 5 days Interrail within 1 month.

first time for us ,

we are planning to go to Switzerland and stay over in Youth hostels .

depart from Eindhoven , The Netherlands to Bern on first day ,

from Bern to Zermatt , Zermatt to Grindelwald and from Grindelwald to Zurich , and last Zurich back to The Netherlands,

For part Zermatt to Grindelwald, I do not see info if I should make reservations? Also the same question from Grindelwald to Zurich?

thanks for your tips ,

best regards, Peter , Eindhoven, The Netherlands 

icon

Best answer by MartinM 27 July 2022, 12:21

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi Peter,

in Switzerland you don’t need any reservations (except for some touristic trains like Glacier Express).
On all routes there are reservation-free trains available (e.g. instead of the Glacier Express just take some regio).

Recommendation for the trip from Zermatt to Interlaken: go from Zermatt to Brig and then take the “old” line via Goppenstein/Kandersteg to Spiez instead of the Lötschberg base tunnel. Takes longer but much more beautiful!

From Interlaken to Grindelwald Interrail is NOT valid. Depending on your plans in/around Grindelwald the Top of Europe Pass might be an option. 

From Grindelwald to Zürich I’d recommend you to take from Interlaken Ost the train via Meiringen to Luzern and then from Luzern to Zürich. The train to Luzern is having some really nice scenery on the way.
The faster route via Bern is mostly boring (except the beginning from Interlaken to Thun...).

No reservations needed. Just from Grindelwald to Interlaken you need again a separate ticket or buy a Top of Europe Pass.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

IN CH=Swiss net als in NL-gewoon vrij plekkie zoeken-wel is er een veelheid aan allerlei spoorwegbedrijven en je moet goed uitkijken welke trajecten wel/niet inbegrepen zijn.

Voor Grd/Int naar Züri reis je beter met de Zentralbahn via Luzern als de snellere route met IC via Bern-Olten.

Veel JH (de officiele van de SYH) geven gasten een kaart voor gratis lokaal busvervoer.

Nmm ben je beter af je in Interlaken te overnachten-een enorme keus aan ook private hoStels (veelal echter wel gericht op luide USAers-al kan dat door covid wat afgenomen zijn.

De trajekten buiten pas in Swiss zijn meestal die berglijnen die echt peperduur zijn.

Als je overdag resit: de doorgaande iCE (1/dag) NL-Swiss is momenteel zeer onbetrouwbaar en indien hij rijdt overvol-je moet dan echt in de zomer RES. doen. De nachttrein kan ook en is wel een story apart.