Solved

How to book Nightjet from Vienna to Munich?

Show first post

63 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

of course you do NOT have to buy two times reservations 😉.
It seems for first class they include the reservations for free - if you have second class, then it charges you 6 euro extra (but supplement is then only 10 instead of 15 euro).
DB and CD include also in second class supplements a free reservation, ÖBB doesn’t.

haha that makes sense now. So should I just buy the supplement for 50 EUR and no 6EUR seat reservation? 😊

Yes, skip the 6 EUR seat reservation. The 50 EUR is already quite expensive as it is.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Then from Verona you can book via CD.cz (not more than 90 days before, choose as Discount Interrail/Eurail to get the right price about 10 EUR in 2nd class, 15 EUR in 1st),

Have you tried that recently? The Interrail and Eurail discounts have disappeared from the CD website since they redesigned their booking page and the "Reservation only” option does not work for this train :(

O didn’t try it lately. Sorry

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

That is because the bottom one is the "offer price" (sparpreis) and Eurail passes discounts are not applied to that price. If you'd travel without a pass the top one would likely be considerably more expensive and the sparpreis would be the same.

Just book the Comfort ticket, and ignore the sparpreis option.

By the way, as the arrival in München is pretty early if you're going to reserve sleepers or couchettes, you could book the sleeper cabins (for the same price) all the way to Stuttgart - that'll give you 2.5 hours of extra sleep. You would then have to return 2 hours by ICE though (but those don't require compulsory reservation). At least that's what I would probably do 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Here you can see the carriages of EC88: https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php?zeme=OeBB&kategorie=EC&cislo=88&nazev=DB-ÖBB%20EuroCity&rok=2023

There seems to be a first class carriage (no. 263) with compartments and an open carriage (no. 262).

Should be possible to tell your preference the booking system. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

A couple of thoughts - 

I would assume that the 10 euro supplement, like reservations, would simply be incorporated into a normal retail ticket. I travelled this run and the 10 euro included a reserved seat.

For anybody needing or contemplating hotels in Venice - simply stay in Venice Mestre - 10 mins from the island, much better quality hotels at very reasonable prices. Several good 3 and 4 star hotels very close to Mestre station - all trains from the island (V, St Lucia) stop at Mestre. Certainly cheaper (and more comfortable) than a sleeper and even a buffet breakfast.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Here you can see the carriages of EC88: https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php?zeme=OeBB&kategorie=EC&cislo=88&nazev=DB-ÖBB%20EuroCity&rok=2023

There seems to be a first class carriage (no. 263) with compartments and an open carriage (no. 262).

Should be possible to tell your preference the booking system. 

Thanks so much @MartinM :)

I found the seat plan on seat 61 too 🙂 I have put the preferences in so hopefully we won't be allocated to the 6  people compartments. 😬

Actually you can check that before booking (but if you booked already then probably it’s so or so too late :-D):

If you click on Offer and price details on the last page before you are proceeding to the payment:

And then it shows you the places:

If you booked already, you should also be able to see the seats that were allocated to you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yeah, only for Venezia-Verona you’ll have a seat reservation in that case.
For Verona-München you’d have to pay extra (6 euro) for seat reservations. As ÖBB is selling only a supplement for EURAIL without seats… Deutsche Bahn would sell it including seats (but only at the ticket office and not online). And Czech Railways too, but seems they stopped selling it online :/.

If you want to buy two reservations extra, then choose “Seat reservation only (no ticket)” in the beginning of the process (and search only Verona->München):

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yes, exactly. You make two bookings and then can pay it all by once (as it is shown on your screenshot).
If you click there on “Click here for service and price details, print timetable” you should be able to see the seats assigned to you (as I showed on the screenshot earlier). 
You can try multiple times, but you have to adapt the “preferences” for that. Because otherwise it will offer you usually (from my experience) the same seats as long as nobody else books them (I book regularly through ÖBB website nighttrains for my father and it is like that in that process).

Click on Reservation Details:

And then you will be able to choose your preferences:

If you do it all at once, you have to click on the trip “Verona-München” to see the reservations:

If you click on it, then you will see your seats:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Sure that’s ok. You will so or so get to separate tickets… one time the supplement for EURAIL and one time the seat reservations. On the train you only need to show the supplement when the conductor checks the ticket. 

I could see it without removing the 50€ supplements. As written above, you have to click on "Click here for service and price details, print timetable" and then you see (depending on what you added first) the supplements and on the bottom you can see “Verona - München”. If you click on that, you can see which seats were assigned and book it all at once.
But as said it is also no problem if you book it separately, as the tickets/reservations so or so will be independent from each other.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@MartinM thanks so much, I think I got it now :) 

Just one more question, for Venezia Mestre to Verona leg, should I book reservation on ÖBB as well or on travel.b-Europe?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

On ÖBB because you don’t pay any extra fees. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

On ÖBB because you don’t pay any extra fees. 

Will do, thank you 😊 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

A couple of thoughts - 

I would assume that the 10 euro supplement, like reservations, would simply be incorporated into a normal retail ticket. I travelled this run and the 10 euro included a reserved seat.

For anybody needing or contemplating hotels in Venice - simply stay in Venice Mestre - 10 mins from the island, much better quality hotels at very reasonable prices. Several good 3 and 4 star hotels very close to Mestre station - all trains from the island (V, St Lucia) stop at Mestre. Certainly cheaper (and more comfortable) than a sleeper and even a buffet breakfast.

Thanks so much for your tips @Yorkie :) 

If I stay in Venice Metre, but want to spend most of the time on the island (Venice St. Lucia), would there be public transport go to Venice Mestre late at night? Does that bridge have bike path on the side? We are taking our rollerblades so that's basically our public transport 😛

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yes and yes

There is a pedestrian bridge also, see here:

Source: Google Maps/Street View

Also there are trains until midnight (last one leaving Venezia SL for Mestre at 0.13 today e.g.)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

yay! Thank you so much for the information. @MartinM 😊

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Don’t forget to buy also the 10 EUR fee for Eurail user fee to use DB-ÖBB EC in Italy. You can buy it online via Eurail.com including the reservation for free (+2 EUR booking fee) or via Czech Railways cd.cz you get it without booking fee for about 10 EUR with the reservation for free.

If you buy this fee via DB or Trenitalia ticket office or CD.cz or Eurail.com (Eurail ask 2 EUR booking fee on top) online you get on top of this fee a reservation for free. If you book the fee via ÖBB you pay 3€ extra for the reservation. 

Via DB online (4,50 EUR per trip) you can choose your seat from a seat plan. Via CD.cz you can require a seat that you want. You need to know the carriage and seat number. 

Via Eurail.com you get a seat automatically via the system, you can’t choose a specific seat. 

For the Frecciarossa to Verona, you can also book the reservation via ÖBB (using one way trip and Eurail as discount, so you don’t pay the Eurail booking fee), or you use the direct service Venice-Munich EC82 starting at 13:35 from Venezia S.Lucia

Hi @AngeloI tried to book on DB for Venice Mestre to Munich, somehow the earliest train doesn't show reservation available but the second one does.

When I proceed to the next step of the second train (9:23) , it shows this screen, so I selected the preferences

And then moving to the next step, , the first leg shows reservation not possible, and the second leg somehow was filled with compartment, and area with any instead of what I chose in the previous stage, there's also no seat selections options.

I also tested with earlier dates and its the same results. 😔

I then tried Cd.cz, these are the screenshots, so it doesn't seem that I can proceed the booking on the website, does that mean I need to email them to make the reservation? (I don't really want to make international calls)

I then tried Eurail.com, the first leg is available for booking at the moment, however the second leg won't be open for reservation until 1 March (90 days before the travel dates)

All in all, I would really want to be able to select seats for this trip as it’s very scenic from what I’ve heard. It seems like Eurail.com is the only possible way I can make the reservations but won't be able to select seats, or would there be any other ways to book this trip?

Thanks so much in advance. :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks for the reply :) @mcadv 

I was worried if this nightjet doesn't apply to Eurail pass holders then I would have to readjust the plan so stay in Venice for another night which means I needed to confirm the booking of the accommodations too of either 1 night or 2 nights. This is so tricky :(

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@rvdborgt @Angelo @MartinM @BrendanDB @mcadv @Yorkie 

I emailed Cd.cz and got replies as below, and then I checked on Oebb.com, it shows 6EUR for reservation for 2 adults. It doesn't seem right… 🤔

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Quite some day train alternatives exist too from Venice to Munich (about 7-8 h travel time). So in the unlikely case the Nightjet would be full, you’ll always have alternatives by daytrains.

That sounds like a better idea :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

And you’ll be able to see the Alps properly ;)

You can already reserve the day trains I think (3 EUR a seat) by ÖBB. I checked for the direct 13:35 EC 82 for 31/05

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@BrendanDB @Angelo Thanks for both of your advices :)

I’ve just readjusted the plan to stay in Venice for 2 nights and also found this day train from Venice to Munich which looks like a good alternative of the night jet. (see screenshot below)

I think I will book through the Eurail.com :) 

I still have one question...for the second train - Verona Port Nuova to Munich, it says you can buy a reservation if you like but it’s not required, however, I still want to make a seat reservation as it’s a long ride and I want to be able to choose the face-face duo. So my question is where can I book this reservation if I want to? and how much approximately would the additional supplement be? (oops just asked a second question😬)

Thank you :)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@BrendanDB I wouldn’t say it is a weird fee… this trains are run by ÖBB/DB as „private business“ in Italy without any subsidies. So the other option instead of 10€ extra for rail passes would be that they don’t accept them at all between Brennero and other Italian destinations. so I think the 10€ extra are still the better option 

As far as I know most long distance trains in Germany are run (and priced) commercially, so I think this fee is more a consequence of how Eurail distributes income - also considering they are covered by the German Rail Pass. Plus, as Freccia's reservations cost €10 these would be very attractive for domestic trips in Italy too.

@Schelte: I wouldn’t say the nighttrains are so bad… you Save Travel time and also in hotels you don’t have always super comfy beds (too hard, too soft, thin walls to neighbors etc). But on this route I would also recommend a daytime train as the views are quite nice 

I don't say they are bad, though I did think that a few months ago when my sleeper carriage was broken and I was given a seat in the open-plan seating car as alternative. 

Many people don't sleep well in night trains, and even less if you have to leave the train at 5:50 AM. In hotels where you pay €180 (the cost of a private double sleeper) for a double room you generally do sleep reasonably well.

I'm very much a fan of night trains (particularly due to their efficiency - travelling while you sleep), but they do have limitations. 

I am so sorry that I had trouble booking the reservations for Venezia Mestre to Munich on Oebb.at.

Followed by the guide from you guys, I clicked  “seat reservation (no tickets) and “one way tickets and day tickets” separately and added both of the costs into the basket. 

I tried multiple times in order to get my desired seats but unfortunately the system never assigned me the single lined window seats after I tried around 50 times, so I gave up and was going to just pick a not too bad option among the few options for the 6EUO seat reservations. However, just before I finalise the booking, I noticed there were already assigned seats included in the tickets with seat numbers, and in the seat reservations, I had another 2 assigned seats with different numbers. 

So my question is, do I still need to buy the 6EUR seat reservation? if I do, what would happen if there are difference seat number in one order?

Thank you in advance. 🙏

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

thanks for the answer @Angelo  :)

I tested on DB online as I would really want to choose seats from a seating plan. 

However, this is the page it came up. (didn't have a seat plan 😔)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The usual surprise for OZzies: too early.

Not true. The NightJet from Venice to München on the 31st of May is already on sale through ÖBB. 

Be sure to check to München Ost, and to indicate Interrail as a discount card (and not click on book seat reservations only, but a regular ticket with Interrail as a discount card) - as explained in the instructions.

wow, thanks for this @Schelte  :)

From what I can see on my laptop, it doesn't show the €13:60 option,  the couchette and sleeper upgrades. I somehow only had 2 options on the page. 🤔

I also couldn't see where to indicate Interail/Eurail as a discount card :(

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

You can’t book both trains in the same way. Italian high speed trains you should book via ÖBB using the one way ticket option and Interrail/Eurail as discount. Same for the Eurocity to munich. Do not select only a seat (I know, it sounds wrong but it works so) Cost 10€ (or you use RV (local express trains on the same route) there you don’t need a reservation at all till Verona). Then from Verona you can book via CD.cz (not more than 90 days before, choose as Discount Interrail/Eurail to get the right price about 10 EUR in 2nd class, 15 EUR in 1st), there you can choose a specific seat (you need to know before the number of carriage and seat, look for the seat maps of DB-ÖBB Eurocity on seat61.com) and there you get with the surcharge the seat reservation for free on top online. 

If you have further questions, feel free to ask!

Thanks so much @Angelo 

I just tried again with Oebb, it seems right this time, but would 50EUR for two adults the correct price?

I also noticed on Oebb, only one of the passengers details were required, it doesn’t seem to allow me to edit the second adult’s details. This is before the payment stage. Is this a normal thing? How would Oebb generate tickets without passengers’ names? 🤔