Solved

How to book Nightjet from Vienna to Munich?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hiya, we are planning to take the night jet from Venice to Munich on 31st May. I tried to book on Oebb but all the fare showing tickets not available. (I have tested with several dates) I also tried to book on Eurail reservations, there was no option of booking seats reservations either. Does the Venice to Munich nightjet open to Eurail pass holders? Thank you 🙂

icon

Best answer by Schelte 21 January 2023, 00:14

View original

63 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

of course you do NOT have to buy two times reservations 😉.
It seems for first class they include the reservations for free - if you have second class, then it charges you 6 euro extra (but supplement is then only 10 instead of 15 euro).
DB and CD include also in second class supplements a free reservation, ÖBB doesn’t.

Oh makes sense, from last timetable change you get a seat reservation for free via ÖBB if you book 1st class. Same happens for Interrail/Eurail fee for ECB.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

It seems for first class they include the reservations for free - if you have second class, then it charges you 6 euro extra (but supplement is then only 10 instead of 15 euro).
DB and CD include also in second class supplements a free reservation, ÖBB doesn’t.

haha that makes sense now. So should I just buy the supplement for 50 EUR and no 6EUR seat reservation? 😊

Yes, skip the 6 EUR seat reservation. The 50 EUR is already quite expensive as it is.

Thanks @BrendanDB , will do :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

haha that makes sense now. So should I just buy the supplement for 50 EUR and no 6EUR seat reservation? 😊

Yes, skip the 6 EUR seat reservation. The 50 EUR is already quite expensive as it is.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

of course you do NOT have to buy two times reservations ;-).

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@BrendanDB I wouldn’t say it is a weird fee… this trains are run by ÖBB/DB as „private business“ in Italy without any subsidies. So the other option instead of 10€ extra for rail passes would be that they don’t accept them at all between Brennero and other Italian destinations. so I think the 10€ extra are still the better option 

As far as I know most long distance trains in Germany are run (and priced) commercially, so I think this fee is more a consequence of how Eurail distributes income - also considering they are covered by the German Rail Pass. Plus, as Freccia's reservations cost €10 these would be very attractive for domestic trips in Italy too.

@Schelte: I wouldn’t say the nighttrains are so bad… you Save Travel time and also in hotels you don’t have always super comfy beds (too hard, too soft, thin walls to neighbors etc). But on this route I would also recommend a daytime train as the views are quite nice 

I don't say they are bad, though I did think that a few months ago when my sleeper carriage was broken and I was given a seat in the open-plan seating car as alternative. 

Many people don't sleep well in night trains, and even less if you have to leave the train at 5:50 AM. In hotels where you pay €180 (the cost of a private double sleeper) for a double room you generally do sleep reasonably well.

I'm very much a fan of night trains (particularly due to their efficiency - travelling while you sleep), but they do have limitations. 

I am so sorry that I had trouble booking the reservations for Venezia Mestre to Munich on Oebb.at.

Followed by the guide from you guys, I clicked  “seat reservation (no tickets) and “one way tickets and day tickets” separately and added both of the costs into the basket. 

I tried multiple times in order to get my desired seats but unfortunately the system never assigned me the single lined window seats after I tried around 50 times, so I gave up and was going to just pick a not too bad option among the few options for the 6EUO seat reservations. However, just before I finalise the booking, I noticed there were already assigned seats included in the tickets with seat numbers, and in the seat reservations, I had another 2 assigned seats with different numbers. 

So my question is, do I still need to buy the 6EUR seat reservation? if I do, what would happen if there are difference seat number in one order?

Thank you in advance. 🙏

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

On ÖBB because you don’t pay any extra fees. 

Will do, thank you 😊 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

On ÖBB because you don’t pay any extra fees. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@MartinM thanks so much, I think I got it now :) 

Just one more question, for Venezia Mestre to Verona leg, should I book reservation on ÖBB as well or on travel.b-Europe?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Sure that’s ok. You will so or so get to separate tickets… one time the supplement for EURAIL and one time the seat reservations. On the train you only need to show the supplement when the conductor checks the ticket. 

I could see it without removing the 50€ supplements. As written above, you have to click on "Click here for service and price details, print timetable" and then you see (depending on what you added first) the supplements and on the bottom you can see “Verona - München”. If you click on that, you can see which seats were assigned and book it all at once.
But as said it is also no problem if you book it separately, as the tickets/reservations so or so will be independent from each other.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Yes, exactly. You make two bookings and then can pay it all by once (as it is shown on your screenshot).
If you click there on “Click here for service and price details, print timetable” you should be able to see the seats assigned to you (as I showed on the screenshot earlier). 
You can try multiple times, but you have to adapt the “preferences” for that. Because otherwise it will offer you usually (from my experience) the same seats as long as nobody else books them (I book regularly through ÖBB website nighttrains for my father and it is like that in that process).

Click on Reservation Details:

And then you will be able to choose your preferences:

If you do it all at once, you have to click on the trip “Verona-München” to see the reservations:

If you click on it, then you will see your seats:

Thanks so much for another golden tip @MartinM :)

I will make sure to set the seat preferences first :) 

I actually had to remove the 50Eur from the basket and only leave the 6Eur reservation fee in the basket before I could proceed and see the assigned seats. 
When I clicked to see the service and price details while both transactions were in the basket, I couldn’t actually see the assigned seats. 
So would that be ok if I make two separate payments instead of paying all in one go? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yes, exactly. You make two bookings and then can pay it all by once (as it is shown on your screenshot).
If you click there on “Click here for service and price details, print timetable” you should be able to see the seats assigned to you (as I showed on the screenshot earlier). 
You can try multiple times, but you have to adapt the “preferences” for that. Because otherwise it will offer you usually (from my experience) the same seats as long as nobody else books them (I book regularly through ÖBB website nighttrains for my father and it is like that in that process).

Click on Reservation Details:

And then you will be able to choose your preferences:

If you do it all at once, you have to click on the trip “Verona-München” to see the reservations:

If you click on it, then you will see your seats:

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks so much  @MartinM :)

Does that mean I need to have two separate bookings/transactions for the Verona-Munich train?

choose the “one-way tickets and day tickets” first then make the payment of 50 EUR

after that restart the process and select “seat reservation only(no tickets)”, then make another payments for 6EUR, then would I be able to see the locations of the seats before the payments?

When I remove the 50EUR one-way journey from the basket, I clicked the service and price details, and I saw the location of the seats! 🙂

Does that mean I can do it multiple times until I get my desired seats?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yeah, only for Venezia-Verona you’ll have a seat reservation in that case.
For Verona-München you’d have to pay extra (6 euro) for seat reservations. As ÖBB is selling only a supplement for EURAIL without seats… Deutsche Bahn would sell it including seats (but only at the ticket office and not online). And Czech Railways too, but seems they stopped selling it online :/.

If you want to buy two reservations extra, then choose “Seat reservation only (no ticket)” in the beginning of the process (and search only Verona->München):

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Here you can see the carriages of EC88: https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php?zeme=OeBB&kategorie=EC&cislo=88&nazev=DB-ÖBB%20EuroCity&rok=2023

There seems to be a first class carriage (no. 263) with compartments and an open carriage (no. 262).

Should be possible to tell your preference the booking system. 

Thanks so much @MartinM :)

I found the seat plan on seat 61 too 🙂 I have put the preferences in so hopefully we won't be allocated to the 6  people compartments. 😬

Actually you can check that before booking (but if you booked already then probably it’s so or so too late :-D):

If you click on Offer and price details on the last page before you are proceeding to the payment:

And then it shows you the places:

If you booked already, you should also be able to see the seats that were allocated to you. 

I haven’t booked yet (luckily), I just followed your instruction and this is the page it came up, I couldn’t see the location of the seats like yours :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Here you can see the carriages of EC88: https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php?zeme=OeBB&kategorie=EC&cislo=88&nazev=DB-ÖBB%20EuroCity&rok=2023

There seems to be a first class carriage (no. 263) with compartments and an open carriage (no. 262).

I found the seat plan on seat 61 too 🙂 I have put the preferences in so hopefully we won't be allocated to the 6  people compartments. 😬

Actually you can check that before booking (but if you booked already then probably it’s so or so too late :-D):

If you click on Offer and price details on the last page before you are proceeding to the payment:

And then it shows you the places:

If you booked already, you should also be able to see the seats that were allocated to you. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I found the seat plan on seat 61 too :) I have put the preferences in so hopefully we won't be allocated to the 6  people compartments. 😬

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Then from Verona you can book via CD.cz (not more than 90 days before, choose as Discount Interrail/Eurail to get the right price about 10 EUR in 2nd class, 15 EUR in 1st),

Have you tried that recently? The Interrail and Eurail discounts have disappeared from the CD website since they redesigned their booking page and the "Reservation only” option does not work for this train :(

O didn’t try it lately. Sorry

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

It’s that slight awkwardness that can sometimes lead to very memorable conversations with strangers. 😁 And if you don’t really want to talk, you’ll be totally fine too. You’re not really travelling in peak periods, so I wouldn’t expect full trains.

😂😂😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

It’s that slight awkwardness that can sometimes lead to very memorable conversations with strangers. 😁 And if you don’t really want to talk, you’ll be totally fine too. You’re not really travelling in peak periods, so I wouldn’t expect full trains.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

There are not a lot of face to face, solo seats on the TGV. Only one or two per carriage. When I travel with my partner or a friend, we always sit next to each other. It’s more discreet and at least as nice. Tables provide usually ample of space on TGV Duplexes, wether you set next to

For the Eurocity Venice-Munich, there’s not much to choose from I think. I think that’s the typical ÖBB 1st class carriage (with secluded compartments of 6 people - the so called abteilwagen). Very nice carriages btw, I love them. Guaranteed to be quiet and a bit of a Harry Potter vibe 😅.

Thank you again @BrendanDB :) 

I think I will go ahead and book the Venezia Mestre to Munich on ÖBB now. I prefer open-plan seats than the 6 people compartments (it feels a bit odd to me if it’t not a family or a group of friends 😄)

Hopefully my seats request can be met :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

There are not a lot of face to face, solo seats on the TGV. Only one or two per carriage. When I travel with my partner or a friend, we always sit next to each other. It’s more discreet and at least as nice. Tables provide usually ample of space on TGV Duplexes, whether you set next to each other, or in front.

For the Eurocity Venice-Munich, there’s not much to choose from I think. I think that’s the typical ÖBB 1st class carriage (with secluded compartments of 6 people - the so called abteilwagen). Very nice carriages btw, I love them. Guaranteed to be quiet and a bit of a Harry Potter vibe 😅.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@bleusquirrel, seems right. 10 EUR for the High Speed Frecciarossa, and the Brenner surcharge + seat reservations.

One name is usually enough, it’s just something to reference the booking through, should you want to refund or change it usually. One person can book seat reservations or tickets for multiple persons. Names never (or very rarely) gets checked in the train. A lot of other, ordinaroy tickets are anonymous btw.

Don’t forget that trains are not planes ;)

Thanks so much for the answer @BrendanDB :)

50Euro to get to Munich from Venice for two people doesn't seem too bad :) 

I don't know if I should go ahead book it through Oebb now or if I should wait until 90 days before the travel days to book through DB or CD (if the online booking is back available again), because I really want to be able to select seats…

Btw, I booked reservation for Paris to Barcelona on Eurail.com today, our allocated seats seem to be two seats next to each other instead of a duo face-to-face with a table 😕 (bad luck)

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@bleusquirrel, seems right. 10 EUR for the High Speed Frecciarossa, and the Brenner surcharge + seat reservations.

One name is usually enough, it’s just something to reference the booking through, should you want to refund or change it usually. One person can book seat reservations or tickets for multiple persons. Names never (or very rarely) gets checked in the train. A lot of other, ordinaroy tickets are anonymous btw.

Don’t forget that trains are not planes ;)