How to get Reservations :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Please read first and if you still have questions start a own topic to keep this post as Informationpost as clean as possible.

This post is made by @rvdborgt  @AnnaB@runner.on.rails  @Angelo and myself. 

Planning/Timetables:
Many of you will notice that the Railplanner of Eurail will have sometimes different times of the trains as other Websites/Apps. Or evenworse the railplanner wont show any train for your desired Route. The Railplanner of Eurail only shows the timetables that are shared by the Railcompanies unfortunately not all Railcompanies share these and even update it not frequently. The Result is that the Railplanner of Eurail is not always uptodate and because ofthat I and other experienced travelers recommend to use the Local Websites and Apps to check the times and even book the reservations with them (when possible).

Below here finally the main words :D
Hi if you are useing a Railpass there will be the point that a train needs a Reservation 🙂 Many of you ask where to get a reservation for a specific train.

First of all there are 2kinds :)
Supplements like the Intercity Direct in Netherlands or the German/Austrian - Italian Supplement on Eurocity & Railjets that have to be paid and doesnt include a seat :/.

And Seatreservations like the TGV,Eurostar or Thalys that include in the supplement fee even a seat reservation.

There are several ways reserve a seat :)
A. on the Website of the Traincompany that operate the train.

B. at the trainstation (On major stations you have “International ticket desks” they often can reserve even trains in a different country for example you can reserve your TGV from Munich to Paris already in Prague 🙂 )

C. Via the Railplanner app of  Eurail itself :)  a small service fee will be charged

D. Via the booking Callcenter of a traincompany.

E. Via a Reservation service website or a well experienced Railagency :)

More informations provided by the Man on Seat 61 :) 

General Websites to reserve trains here you can find out which websites can help you. 

We highly suggest to confirm the times of your trains in the Railplanner with Local Railplanner apps or atleast with one of the major ones. I general i recommend even to plan your trips with these app instead of Railplanner.

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm a good helpfull website of Mark Smith.

Manuals for several websites.

German Rail 🇩🇪

Daytrains on oebb.at (Not for Italy) 🇦🇹

Bordercrossing Eurocity/Railjet Italy - Austria/Germany  🇦🇹🇩🇪 - 🇮🇹

Italian Daytrains booked via oebb.at 🇮🇹

Nighttrains on oebb.at (Several Routes)

Reservation within the UK (by rvdbrgt)
🇬🇧

Reservation of Caledonian Sleeper (by rvdbrgt) 🇬🇧

Reservations for Trains in Spain (by rvdbrgt) 🇪🇸

Reservation for the International TGV/AVE France - Spain (by rvdbrgt) 🇲🇫🇪🇸

Reservations on the website of Hungarian Rail 🇭🇺

Reservations on the Website of Czech Rail 🇨🇿

Reservation on the Website of Swedish Rail 🇸🇪

Reservations within Denmark + Denmark - Hamburg 

Domestic Reservations within Poland (just 30days in advance)

Thalys, Eurostar, TGV France - Belgium 

TGV France to Luxembourg & Germany 

TGV France - Switzerland 

Reservations France - Italy 

Greek Rail 

Reservations Switzerland - Italy 

Croatian Reservations 

Turkih (Turkey) Reservations 

@rvdborgt  @AnnaB  many others and myself will try to keep this uptodate and help as much we can with  advices :)

Kind Regards.

82 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi, thanks for the instructions! I have a problem with ÖBB,

Please open your own topic, mentioning the exact trains you'd like to book (origin, destination, date, departure time per train).

Hey, thank your for this great Thread. I just have a short question regarding reservations in Italy: Is it not possible to select a specific seat when doing a reservation? So you basically book a reservation and they will automatically assign a seat?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I just have a short question

Please open you own topic, so this one doesn't get overloaded with questions.

Badge +1

Italian daytrains via oebb.at 🙂 Thanks to @rvdborgt  for notifying me about the new possibilty to reserve Italian daytrains via Oebb.at

First select your Route and your traveldate/time
Even if you wanna just reserve a seat please click the option One Way tickets and day tickets
You will get first results please note that this are Standard prices please click in the red marked box top right on change.
Yet you can add as much travelers as needed and add on each traveler the discount Interrail / Eurail Globalpass (at the end of the list) and click on “Confirm”
You get some results for example the 13.48 direct Highspeedtrain for 10€ :)

Please note that on the 14.26 depature only the first train will be reserved.
It looks like OBB can reserve just direct routes if you wanna use the 14.26 depature you have to search first Venice - Bolgona and afterwards Bologna - Milano.

Kind Regards

from @seewulf  & @rvdborgt 

Do you know why It says “Ticket not available”. I can’t book a reservation.
17 Aug 18:10 train from rome to florence? what do I do?

@seewulf  @rvdborgt 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Do you know why It says “Ticket not available”. I can’t book a reservation.
17 Aug 18:10 train from rome to florence? what do I do?

Please follow the instructions; seats are available for 10€. If you still have problems, please do NOT post in this topic but open your own one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Additional method; IN FRance for all trains that require a REServation beside the pass: (ONLY domestic trains):

can also do at any machine of SNCF-these are in any major station (mostly purple/grey-the smaller blue are for regional trains only).

Set up trip, choose ´anon´ and no passenger account-then there are endless pages to see if you are fit enough and have no dogs/bikes etc. Then comes REDUCTION: click on ´more´ and then the EUrl and IR appear-choose class. Then it takes a while but there will be a side with all trains/connections (MAX 1 change) from A to B and what it will cost you. Trains that are really ´complet´ will not show up. Works for the TGV, the IC, the overnight trains and ALSO the NoMAD trains (these cost just 1,50 to REServe).

A couchette in the nighttrains cost 21,50 plus an awful lot of extra info: name, full adress, fonenr, mail etc.

Then pay-cards only, cash has been banned since many years (can do at counter if wished-expect to know/ speak FRench and exact details of what you want). You now get mostly a soft paper slip with QR-code and this can be used to pass gates at such stations. In this month (may) it is very well possible to even find seats in TGV for 10€ for the next day, this may not hold for summer or days of great movements (start/end of major holidays etc.)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Reservations for Spanish domestic trains

Reservations for Spanish domestic trains can be booked in the following ways:

• At a RENFE (Spanish railways) ticket office
  • At some CP (Portuguese railways) ticket offices: Lisboa Santa Apolónia, Lisboa Oriente, Lisboa Rossio, Porto Campanhã, Porto São Bento, Aveiro, Coimbra, Faro. Only for trains departing from Vigo and Badajoz.
  • At an SNCF (French railways) ticket office.
  • At a ČD (Czech railways) ticket office.
  • At a Deutsche Bahn ticket office. You may need to provide the train number. Some DB staff claim they can't book Spanish reservations but they're wrong. They need to use the train number search.
  • Via Deutsche Bahn by phone (+49 30 2970 or directly to the English line +49 30 311682904). Collect at a DB ticket machine or receive via post (€5.90 per order). You may need to provide the train number.
  • Via RENFE by phone, with limitations, see this page (scroll down to Spain; when calling, press 1 for English). Reservation must be collected in Spain.
  • Via the Interrail and Eurail websites, currently only for AVE, Alvia and Euromed trains. Booking fee €2 per person and train.
  • Not anymore at a Swiss ticket office.

The good thing is that these reservations are not quota-controlled, so you can book seats until the train is full.
Train numbers can be looked up via www.raileurope.com or in the DB planner, but not too long in advance, since RENFE don't always publish their timetables a long time in advance.

Before trying to book pass reservations, it's a good idea to check on renfe.com whether your trains can already be booked. If normal tickets are sold, then pass reservations can also be booked.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Reservations for TGVs Paris-Barcelona

The TGVs between Paris and Barcelona can be booked:

• Via www.raileurope.com. No booking fees, delivery via e-mail.
  • Via Interrail.eu/eurail.com (2€ booking fee per person and train, from 90 days in advance, delivery via e-mail).
  • Via French railways (SNCF) ticket office or by phone (press #85 for English, no booking fee, delivery via e-mail).
  • Via a Luxembourg (CFL) international ticket office or by phone. Booking fee €5, reservation can be sent via email.
  • Via a Dutch (NS) international ticket office or by phone. No booking fee (because reservations are not available on the NS website and ticket machines), reservation is sent via email.
  • Via a Belgian (NMBS/SNCB) international ticket office or by phone. No booking fee, reservation is sent via email but phone number is not cheap.
  • Via a Swiss (SBB/CFF/FSS) ticket office or by phone (scroll down to Switzerland). Unknown if reservations can be sent via e-mail. Send me a message if you find out.
  • Not anymore via RENFE (Spanish railways).
  • Not anymore via Deutsche Bahn (German railways).
Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Reservations on MAV (Hungarian Rail) Reservations on Hungarian Rail

Please click on the Supplement / Reservation only button marked in the redbox
To add discount you have to first add your birthdate and can then finally select
Here your discount Card I´ve selected International Pass Global Price

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Updated Manual for reserving trains on CD.cz Website of Czech Rail 🙂 example here is a Nighttrain as you have here quite a lot options :)

First Select Your route and travelday afterwards pleas click on the passenger details

Select here the Interrailpass or Eurailpass (depends what pass you have)

You will get then first results please click on I want a Reservation only
You know see the different offers on a Nighttrain from Seats via Couchette to Sleepers.
One special thing are sleepers if you book just one berth in a lets say tripple compartment you will travel with foreign travelers of the same sex. Incase a Group book a entire compartment like here 2persons in a double cabin you can  select  “We wanna travel in the same Compartment” then you you a private Compartment just for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Swedish Trains via SJ.se (Swedish Rail)

Select your Route and click then on travelers
No add the correct amount of travelers and click on Add SJ Prio/periodticket
Select from the list Interrailpass / Eurailpass
Now enter your PassCoverNumber (MobilePass user can request one from Customer Service) The checking prices the system accept I (India) + 8numbers (Interrail) or E + 8numbers (Eurail)
You will then see different results i select the Nighttrain to show the different options on a Nighttrain :)
Here you finally see the different options from a Seat via Couchette up to Private Sleeper Compartments.

Hello, I wanted to know, how through the website of the German train company, the route will be linked to my pass (just with a reservation of seats)?

It won't. Reservations are completely separate, regardless of where and how you make them. This also means that you always have to add a journey to My Trip and then (shortly before boarding) to My Pass.

Thanks again, I got it! 

Hello, thanks a lot for this precious post. Can I get a few more details about how to add a journey to ‘my trip’ ansd then ‘my pass’?

For example, I found a trip From amsterdam to Copenhagen via Deutsche Ban (night train) → see screen scan

BUT

This train doesn’t seem to be available anymore (at least seats reservations aren’t possible and thus it’s impossible for me to choose it!) on the interail website. → seen second screen scan, written in french but it says ‘no places available for reservations” in red.

Other solution? adding to my trip another train (without red writings) BUT the interail website says that all informations aren’t available to book the train … (grey writings) and  cannot add the trip to my cart… → See last screen scan

How can I do? Should I wait and pray until grey stuff diseapears? Should I book the seats on german website without adding the trip to my interail app?

Thanks a lot for your answer

It says :
Seating reservation not available
No rates are available at this time. Passholder seating may be sold out. See "More Information" for other reservation options, or purchase a full-fare ticket. You must reserve your seat for this trip.

It says : Details unavailable
At this time, no information is available on reservations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Joh Mnt 

Please post a new topic of your own with your question. This topic is only for information about reservations. It gets too long if questions are asked here.

Updated Manual for reserving trains on CD.cz Website of Czech Rail 🙂 example here is a Nighttrain as you have here quite a lot options :)

First Select Your route and travelday afterwards pleas click on the passenger details

Select here the Interrailpass or Eurailpass (depends what pass you have)

You will get then first results please click on I want a Reservation only
You know see the different offers on a Nighttrain from Seats via Couchette to Sleepers.
One special thing are sleepers if you book just one berth in a lets say tripple compartment you will travel with foreign travelers of the same sex. Incase a Group book a entire compartment like here 2persons in a double cabin you can  select  “We wanna travel in the same Compartment” then you you a private Compartment just for you.

Hello. I’m trying to do this but “I want a reservation only” doesn’t appear :/ how is it necessary to do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello. I’m trying to do this but “I want a reservation only” doesn’t appear :/ how is it necessary to do?

Please open your own topic, so we don't "pollute” this tutorial thread with questions and problems.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

DSB Udland Page to reserve trains in Denmark + the Intercities to Hamburg 

Here select your Route just note you can reserve just within Denmark and the trains to Hamburg
Select your connection the direct trains cost you 30kr  the connections with a change cost 60krs 🙂 For a Reservation in 1st class you need a 1st class pass. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Domestic Reservations within Poland can be booked just 30days in advance on 
 Intercity.pl 

PKP´s own Manual (thanks for the Link Rian)

You can reserve domestic Journey´s on Intercity.pl Reservations for TLK and IC and EIC (Eurocity) cost 1Zloty arround 25 cents. 
Reservations for EIP the Highspeedtrains (sometimes not much faster) cost 40Zloty arround 10€  

Select your domestic Route in Poland within the next 30days. 
Select your connection Here you can see that the EIP (Highspeedtrain) is not much faster click finally on choose 
You get this menu please select how many travelers will travel with a discount and how many will use a normal fare. Next step select the discount from the Drop down menu

Finally add your Name and the Number of Your railpass either Digitalone or PassCoverNumber here you see the 1zloty reservation for the EIP it would be 40Zloty
​​​​​

Reservations for Spanish domestic trains

Booking reservations for Spanish domestic trains is not possible online. You can buy them:

• At a Spanish ticket office
  • Possibly at Lisboa Santa Apolónia (They're reported to have a Spanish system there. Please let me know if you can confirm.)
  • At a Deutsche Bahn ticket office. You need to provide the train number.
  • Via Deutsche Bahn by phone (+49 30 2970 or directly to the English line +49 30 311682904). Collect at a DB ticket machine or receive via post (€5.90 per order). You need to provide the train number.
  • Via a Swiss ticket office or by phone (scroll down to Switzerland). Unknown if reservations can be sent via e-mail. Send me a message if you find out.
  • Via RENFE by phone, with limitations, see this page (scroll down to Spain). Reservation must be collected in Spain.

The good thing is that these reservations are not quota-controlled, so you can book seats until the train is full.
Train numbers can be looked up via www.raileurope.com or in the DB planner (if RENFE have sent their data), but not too long in advance, since RENFE don't always publish their timetables a long time in advance.

Hello all, just to update this information, neither Deutsche Bahn or Swiss Rail are able to assist in purchasing domestic train tickets in Spain.  Both representatives explained that you were once able to do so, but that it is no longer the case as of July 2022.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello all, just to update this information, neither Deutsche Bahn or Swiss Rail are able to assist in purchasing domestic train tickets in Spain.  Both representatives explained that you were once able to do so, but that it is no longer the case as of July 2022.

I read a message from someone who successfully bought reservations for Spain in Germany yesterday. So I'm not sure at all that your information is correct. There can be multiple reasons why making a reservation fails.

Did they buy them by phone or in the train station?  The Deutche Bahn representative went into the system with the train numbers I provided and was unable to make the booking.  As it took, cumulatively, several hours to research the phoning option and actually reach someone (37 minute wait to have my call answered) just want to warn anyone pressed for time that it was a fruitless journey for me.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Did they buy them by phone or in the train station?

Train station. Also needed multiple attempts before someone knew how to do it. If you would like to discuss further, I suggest you open a new topic. This topic is meant for tutorials and information about where and how to get certain reservations.

Hi, please can you help! I want to make a reservation to get from london to paris on monday! How do i do this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

By READing above-and als READ: do NOT MISuse this long thread by individual questions. Start new line-or: ALL questions of 1st time users have been posted many times before. Just search.

Excellent thread.  Starting new one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Reservations for Eurostar trains and TGV Brussels-France

• Eurostar Amsterdam-Brussels-Lille-London
  • Eurostar Paris-London
  • Eurostar Red (ex Thalys) Paris-Brussels-Amsterdam/Cologne
  • TGV InOui Brussels-France

Booking reservations for Eurostar trains is possible via:

• Interrail.eu (2 EUR booking fee per person and train)
  • RailEurope website (adding Interrail/Eurail as discount card)
  • B-Europe website (4 EUR booking fee per booking, Pass Cover Number needed, request it here).
  • French railways ticket office or by phone (press #85 for English, no booking fee, delivery via e-mail).
  • SNCB/NMBS ticket office or by phone.
  • NS International ticket office or by phone.
  • Swiss ticket office or by phone (delivery by postal mail).

Reservation costs:

• Eurostar: 30 EUR in Standard (2nd class) and 38 EUR Standard premier (1st class). 
  • Eurostar to/from Amsterdam and Rotterdam: 35 EUR Standard and 43 EUR Standard premier
  • Eurostar red: Paris - Belgium and Germany - Belgium
    2nd class “standard”: € 27, 1st class “comfort”: € 32

• Eurostar red: Paris - Germany and Paris - Netherlands
    2nd class “standard”: € 32, 1st class “comfort”: € 37

• Eurostar red: Lille - Belgium - Netherlands
    2nd class “standard”: € 22, 1st class “comfort”: € 27

Details:

• One country Passes not valid on Eurostar. On Eurostar only One Country Benelux for rides Belgium-Netherlands. Global Pass valid for all trains, except special trains Snow or Sun.
  • Business Premier (Eurostar) and Premium (Eurostar Red) can’t be booked by pass holder.
  • Check-in time for Eurostar to/from London is minimum 45 minutes before departure. Be there before! Full check like in an airport with passport check by the police.
  • These reservations are quota-controlled, so you can book only some seats that are for pass users.
  • refund: not possible
  • exchangeable: until the planned departure on Eurostar Red
  • exchangeable: with a fixed cost on Eurostar (15€ standard, 20€ standard premier)
  • Upgrade: not possible
  • If a Eurostar Red train is not completely full, you can buy a reservation before entering the train at the train manager, also when the pass quota is full. (Passengers on the route Brussels-Cologne tell this possibility. If also other routes are possible not known). 

Here more details about sales conditions of the reservations: Eurostar conditions and Eurostar Red conditions

How to avoid Eurostar trains:

• Use reservation free Intercity (direct) Brussel-Antwerp-Rotterdam-Schiphol Airport-Amsterdam. They run hourly.
  • Use ICE trains (optional reservation – see overview for Germany) between Brussel-Liege-Aachen-Cologne (they often have cancellations or delays, have as plan b to use IC trains to Verviers and from there L trains to Aachen and from there RE trains to Cologne.)
  • Use TGV trains (reservation compulsory) Paris-Lille and from Lille Flanders local trains to Belgium.

How to avoid Eurostar to London: Use busses via Eurotunnel (not in pass network), or ships from England to mainland Europe (conditions apply).

LAST UPDATE: 29 DEC 2023 - All information is provided without warranty

TGV trains Brussel-France booking possible via:

• Interrail.eu (2€ booking fee per person and train)
  • RailEurope website (adding Interrail/Eurail as discount card)
  • b-europe website for TGV services (4€ booking fee per booking, Pass Cover Number needed, request it here) :
    • Brussel - Marne-la-Vallée/Chessy (Disneyland Paris)
    • Brussel - Aéroport Charles de Gaulle TGV (Paris CDG Airport)
  • travel.b-europe website for national rides in France (4€ booking fee per booking, Pass Cover Number needed, request it here
  • SNCB/NMBS ticket office or by phone
  • Via French railways ticket office or by phone (press #85 for English, no booking fee, delivery via e-mail).
  • Via a Swiss ticket office or by phone (delivery by postal mail).
  • Via NS International ticket office or by phone.

cost: 20 Euro 2nd class and 30 Euro first class

upgrade: not possible

refund: 100% before departure

exchangeable: once 

You need a Interrail/Eurail Global Pass to ride this trains on international routes.

With a Interrail/Eurail One Country Pass France or BeNeLux you need to pay the fare pass 2 (holding a Pass France) or pass 3 (holding a Pass BeNeLux) to pay for the part that is not included in your pass. 

Conditions: Pass 1 (reservation), Pass 2 (reservation with Pass France) and Pass 3 (reservation with Pass BeNeLux). 

LAST UPDATE: 29 DEC 2023 - All information is provided without warranty

If you have questions, please ask them in a new topic, to not overload this one.