Solved

How to make seat reservation from Geneve (Cornavin) to Zermatt?

• 15 February 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello everyone, I wanted to book seat reservation for Geneva (Cornavin) to Zermatt. I tried on ÖBB with the one way ticket option, it shows as the following:

Does that mean I don't need to book seat reservation for these trains?

Would it likely be no seat available if I don't book reservation?

We have our scenic trains and accommodations in Zermatt and St. Morris all booked in and paid, really don't want to not be able to get there from Geneva the day before due to the lack of seat availability.

Thanks a lot in advance :)

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 15 February 2023, 02:07

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Its faaaaaaaaaaaaar easier as you thought-in the Swiss all trains run so often-like Vrail around MEL or State(strike?)rail around Syd that they do not bother with RES. Are those trains always so full that one is unable to find an empty seat? RES is for big groups and the like (boyscouts, schoolclasses)-they get a own section in a car

Pretty nice ride along lake Geneva for first half_ take a seat on the right hand side when dep. from Gnv.

BTW-some 95% of all trains running anywhere here in EUR are like that-but its more that all newbees tend to want to use those trains that are hard to get. Partly explainable-the long-distance expresses going over borders and hi-speed, but partly also due to notsosmart planning.

On average seat-occupancy in most countries is about 45-55%-that means that on average about half of all seats in running trains are taken at any moment. But this can vary from 0 to 111 depending on line, day of week, season etc. (yes, it can be higher-3 kids on 2 seats)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Making reservations is not needed in Switzerland. Almost nobody does it and IMO it's a waste of money.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks for your answer @mcadv :)

I am sorry that I am still a bit confused. Does that mean there's no way that I can book seat reservation in advance? Do we just hop on at the train station with our Eurail passes? Thank you 😊

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Making reservations is not needed in Switzerland. Almost nobody does it and IMO it's a wate of money.

Ah I see, thank you a lot 😊