Solved

How to pay seat reservations on Eurail App?

• Keeps calm and carries on
  • 11 replies

Hi All,

I am travelling in Italy at the end of this month. I am currently planning my journey on the Eurail app. I have a mobile pass.

I have saved a journey to My Trip with a 10 Eur Seat Reservation charge.

How is this charge paid?

There is no option on the App to pay.

Under “More’ you can select ‘Seat Reservations’ then select ‘Italy’ and it says ‘Book at major train stations – At a ticket office or self-service machine’

Does this mean the reservation fee is paid at the station on the day?

thanks,

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 6 April 2022, 08:08

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Strange - seat reservations for Italy can also be booked via Eurail and in my app it also says so.

The best way now to book Italian day trains is however via ÖBB (using these steps), since ÖBB don't charge any booking fees (Eurail charge a booking fee of 2€ per seat and train).

@Nanja, is that option going to be added to the app?

When I add the journey to my trip, it outlines that there is a seat reservation charge but does not give you the option to pay this charge on the app. 

when i click on ‘My Pass’ at the bottom my selected journey’s are shown but again no option to pay for seat reservation.

@rvdborgt & @Nanja  any ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

All the app would do is forward you to the Eurail website, where the reservation would then cost 10€ + 2€ booing fee.

The best way now to book Italian day trains is however via ÖBB (using these steps), since ÖBB don't charge any booking fees.

Thanks @rvdborgt ,

I am not getting an option to proceed to the Eurail website but I suppose I can go directly there myself.

Eurail app is simply a planning app then? You cannot book trains and pay seat reservation here?

I can use my Eurail Pass on OBB?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I regard the app as a replacement of the paper pass and only use it to document my journeys. The planner would be useful if it were more up to date. And clearly booking reservations would also be useful, although I'm not inclined to use Eurail's own service as long as they're charging extra fees.

You can book reservations anywhere you like, including via operators’ websites or at a ticket office. Eurail also provide a list of alternative ways themselves.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You need the Eurail App to show your Ticket (the Eurail Pass), and for trains that need a reservations the PDF or email with the reservation. 

Yes you can use ÖBB to get the reservation, you have to show your Eurail Pass (via App) and you have to choose your trip on the app to activate the pass and get an QR-Code to show for ticket check. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

We will look into it. For now, @dools90, you can go for one of the alternative ways of booking mentioned in the comments. For reservations you are not required to book through us. You can also book directly with the operator of the train. 

All the app would do is forward you to the Eurail website, where the reservation would then cost 10€ + 2€ booing fee.

The best way now to book Italian day trains is however via ÖBB (using these steps), since ÖBB don't charge any booking fees.

@rvdborgt  See below purchased ticket on OBB from Roma Termini to Chatillon Saint Vincent.

It is saying that this ticket only valid from Rome to Turin.

Is there something else I need to do? Or will this ticket get me all the way to Chatillon?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The REX does not require a reservation, so you're all good.

You still need to add this journey to My Trip and, shortly before boarding, to My Pass. Then your pass will be valid for the journey.

The REX does not require a reservation, so you're all good.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate the help