Skip to main content

Hello, I have a question. On the app it seems not mandatory to reserve ICE trains to travel in Germany (national connections). But I do not trust the app anymore, too many flaws.

Do you know if it is ok just to jump on a ICE without reservation? 

Thanks

Marco

In Germany, reservations are optional for all domestic journeys in ICE, IC, EC, TGV, RJ.

On what route did you see the information that seat reservations are mandatory on ICE in Germany? This should be error reported. 

On what route did you see the information that seat reservations are mandatory on ICE in Germany? This should be error reported. 

I wrote NOT mandatory

In Germany, reservations are optional for all domestic journeys in ICE, IC, EC, TGV, RJ.

Great.

I have a 1° class pass, so maybe it is easier to find always a free seat. But in case the train is full, what they do?

You can just make the travel standing?

Yes you would have to stand but very unlikely in 1st class. You can check how busy the train is on bahn.de (process of making a seat reservation)

If you have first class, you can make reservations free of charge on tickets.oebb.at (or the ÖBB app). Add the Interrail/Eurail discount and then select "One-way tickets”.

If you have first class, you can make reservations free of charge on tickets.oebb.at (or the ÖBB app). Add the Interrail/Eurail discount and then select "One-way tickets”.

Thank you!

Great tip.