Solved

Interrail valid on the new Frecciarossa services in/to France?

• 13 December 2021
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello, does someone know, if the Interrail/Eurail Pass will be valid on the new Frecciarossa services Milan-Turin-Lyon-Paris starting on Saturday? When yes, how much will the reservation cost? 

Thank You!

icon

Best answer by Nanja 16 December 2021, 09:31

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

A while ago, @Nanja wrote that Interrail validity was being negotiated. Maybe she can tell us the status?

In any case, it seems Trenitalia didn't find it necessary yet to send the timetable to the European Timetable Centre, so for now these trains are only visible in Trenitalia's own app and website :/

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thank You rvdborgt! I hope that we will know further news about this topic soon. 

It would be nice if you @Nanja  could inform us here as soon as there is new information about using Interrail in the Frecciarossa in France. Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Trenitalia answers with this, quite unclear.

With the Interrail pass, you can also travel on Trenitalia trains. For more information, I kindly invite you to consult the following link:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Indeed. This seems like a general page that does not mention the new services Milan - Paris. Did you ask specifically for validity on these trains?

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Indeed. This seems like a general page that does not mention the new services Milan - Paris. Did you ask specifically for validity on these trains?

I've sent quite a few messages today with Trenitalia and Italiarail, but so far I haven't gotten a single clear response. How frustrating!

Yes, I have specifically asked about the new connections from France.
And also the trains in Italy.

Waiting to see if I'll ever get a straight answer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Trenitalia France has it “own” website and customer service:

https://www.trenitalia.com/trenitalia-france.html 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Trenitalia France has it “own” website and customer service:

https://www.trenitalia.com/trenitalia-france.html 

Sorry, but I think it's a shame that they at Trenitalia.com/IT don't know anything about their connections in France :blush:
Or am I too demanding :grimacing:

Thank you!

I sent another message to them. Fingers crossed they give a clear answer :grinning:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi all, I just got an update from our product team and unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment to travel on Frecciarossa trains between Milan - Paris with our Passes but only point to point tickets. 

We our in touch with Trenitalia to come to an agreement. Once it's finalized, I will let you know. 

Cheers, 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

I received this message by email from Trenitalia France customer service.

Cher Monsieur,

Nous tenions avant tout à vous remercier de l'intérêt porté à la compagnie Trenitalia France.

Faisant suite à votre mail, nous vous informons que les billets vendus par notre compagnie ne font pas parti des offres et accord interrail.

Vous remerciant par avance de votre compréhension.

Cordialement,

Katia

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Bombard them with mails and requests-maybe they get the message at the end!

But the general dis-information and often confusing and non-subject response of TrIt seems tipical-plus the eternal strikes for this or that.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Oh damn. Looks like it’s still not happening and passes are still not valid on the Paris-Milan Frecciarossa. I should have checked before getting a pass 😆 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Katia Hervy you can use the TGV services instead. They run most time at the same time as the Frecciarossa.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Katia Hervy you can use the TGV services instead. They run most time at the same time as the Frecciarossa.

Yeah. I just did not realise the cost of reserving a seat on those (not that it would have been necesssarily cheaper than the Frecciarossa). And I also just wanted to try it 😁

For the specific trip I need to make the pass is turning out an expensive option but my fault for not spending more time factoring all the costs (I had to buy a paper ticket due to the ios13 issues and I rushed to buy the pass to make sure it arrived quickly)

Hi all, I just got an update from our product team and unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment to travel on Frecciarossa trains between Milan - Paris with our Passes but only point to point tickets. 

We our in touch with Trenitalia to come to an agreement. Once it's finalized, I will let you know. 

Cheers, 

Hi, has there been any news on this please? Looking to book Lyon- Milan in May, ideally on global pass rather than separate ticket.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Cheers, 

Hi, has there been any news on this please? Looking to book Lyon- Milan in May, ideally on global pass rather than separate ticket.

Obvious alternative would be Lyon to Nice (10 or 20 euro), Nice - Ventimiglia (regional train) and Ventimiglia to Milan (IC direct 3 euro). 

Otherwise Lyon - Geneva - then through alps to Milan. 

These are from Interrail web planner so need checking for times and res fees for your dates but routing is sound,

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

NO news simply means: GTJIOS YTrIt train will not accept passes for In FR and for FR-IT.

However-the above is really an enormous detour-fine if you want to see the sea. It is lilkely much quicker-but do homework=search timings youself: Lyon-TER to Geneve/Swiss-as Swiss fares are so sky-high you always gain a lot using them!-via Rhone Valley-2/hr to Brig, then if really saving money local tren to Domodossola-and change there to TreNord to MIL-or shell out 11€ for the direct EC/2-hourly, arrange at a Swiss counter Brig-Mil. Also relaeses you from the plight for those pesky TGV -RES.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

NO news simply means: GTJIOS YTrIt train will not accept passes for In FR and for FR-IT.

However-the above is really an enormous detour-fine if you want to see the sea. It is lilkely much quicker-but do homework=search timings youself: Lyon-TER to Geneve/Swiss-as Swiss fares are so sky-high you always gain a lot using them!-via Rhone Valley-2/hr to Brig, then if really saving money local tren to Domodossola-and change there to TreNord to MIL-or shell out 11€ for the direct EC/2-hourly, arrange at a Swiss counter Brig-Mil. Also relaeses you from the plight for those pesky TGV -RES.

I agree the route via Marseilles is quits a distance further, but since there are only 2 changes and very simple and regular trains , one of which is a TGV and another a comfortable Italian IC train it is a perfectly doable option. 

As for French TGV booking I have had no problems getting these, and b-europe is very good at showing the 10 euro res fee, when available. 

You may have missed that I did suggest there were other routings including into Switzerland and through the alps.

I am sure that most people planning a trip are perfectly capable of looking at a map and simply need the possible routings highlighting, especially the very few mainline routings from France to Italy - either the Cote d’Azur route or via Switzerland and the Alps (Unless you fancy Munich or beyond before crossing the Alps.)

As for advising a routing because these are expensive so you save more I find that at best a naive approach - Once I have bought a pass the relative fares of my choices are of no concern (other than a very minor question of getting value). I am much more interested in practical and emotional factors such as scenery, travel times, sensible changes and overnight stops.