Solved

Is it still possible to reserve seats on Munich-Bologna? And what happens if we don't?

• 13 June 2022
  • 8 replies

My friend and I are travelling to Italy on July 11th, and we are going to take the Munich-Bologna-route in order to get to Rome. The problem is, that every seat seems to be booked. Does anyone else have this problem? 

And what is the worst thing that can happen if we go on the train without reservations (sit in the train hallway)?

icon

Best answer by seewulf 13 June 2022, 15:54

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

My friend and I are travelling to Italy on July 11th, and we are going to take the Munich-Bologna-route in order to get to Rome. The problem is, that every seat seems to be booked. Does anyone else have this problem? 

And what is the worst thing that can happen if we go on the train without reservations (sit in the train hallway)?

You can reserve seats easily via oebb.at or at bahn.de :)
If you have no reservation you have to sit /stand in the Hallway the trains are very popular and often overcrowded in summer.

Thanks for the answer! I have already tried to book them through oebb.au and bahn.de, but they both say, that it's fully booked or the site isn't able to find the tickets/seats...

If you have no reservation you have to sit /stand in the Hallway the trains are very popular and often overcrowded in summer.

Thanks for the answer! I have already tried to book them through oebb.au and bahn.de, but they both say, that it's fully booked or the site isn't able to find the tickets/seats...

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The daytrain or the Nighttrain?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

For it looks like, that the reservations for the direct trains to Bologna are not open yet. I think due to works, because also the departure time is different from the rest of the year. 

For EC81 I can reserve till Bologna via tickets.oebb.at seat only option. 

For EC83 and EC87 not possible yet. I think due to works the reservations are not open yet. Noone can tell you when it would happen. 

Please keep in mind that this train is only with optional reservation (but in Summer it is highly recommended) and also the 10€ fee for Interrail Global Pass (Interrail German Rail Pass can use it without fee). You can pay the fee online via tickets.oebb.at  (one way ticket - at adult add dicount Interrail/Eurail Global Pass) or at DB tickets offices (incl. a reservation for free) and at ÖBB. 

The daytrain or the Nighttrain?

The daytrain

For it looks like, that the reservations for the direct trains to Bologna are not open yet. I think due to works, because also the departure time is different from the rest of the year. 

For EC83 and EC87 not possible yet. I think due to works the reservations are not open yet. Noone can tell you when it would happen. 

Please keep in mind that this train is only with optional reservation (but in Summer it is highly recommended) and also the 10€ fee for Interrail Global Pass (Interrail German Rail Pass can use it without fee). You can pay the fee online via tickets.oebb.at  (one way ticket - at adult add dicount Interrail/Eurail Global Pass) or at DB tickets offices (incl. a reservation for free) and at ÖBB. 

Okay, thanks! I’ll keep a look on the route and see when they go on sale then. And are you sure, that a reservation isn’t mandatory? I’ve seen conflicting answers many places.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Okay, thanks! I’ll keep a look on the route and see when they go on sale then. And are you sure, that a reservation isn’t mandatory? I’ve seen conflicting answers many places.

100%
For the Eurocity betwen Munich - Innsbruck - Italy it´s no reservation requirred but highly recommened :)
Eurail says reservation compulsory because of the 10€ supplement that is needed for the train in 2nd class or the 15€ in 1st class :/