Issues booking seat reservations for early September. Advice?

• 26 July 2022
  • 1 reply

Hi!

I’m researching different train websites and trying to book seat reservations (for 2 people) for our trip in early September.

I am having a few issues: not all of the train journeys/timetables are the same as on the Interrail app (showing different times, showing different changes etc), and they all appear to be sold out or unavailable to reserve on all websites (despite the rail planner app saying reservations are mandatory). Is it likely that these trains would be sold out with just less than 2 months to go? If not, would we be able to book them once we get to the country at the train station or even on the day?

My route is (using times shown on interrail app):

8th September:

Salzburg (1:40am) - Lesce-Bled (7:30am): with a change at Schwarzach-St.Veit 2:30am-4:25am

Do you know if this night journey will have sleepers, or is it just seats?

This is the train journey giving us the most issues. It was either this night one or a 15 hour journey during the day!

On the interrail website, I could reserve the second half of the journey (from Schwarzach) but not the first half. Also, on the DB train website, it stated that the change was at Villach at 3:37am, but ‘reservation impossible’.

10th September:

Lesce-Bled (7:31am) - Ljubljana (8:13am): this is the only daily train journey between these places, is there another? For such a popular journey I’m surprised there isn’t more timetabled.

11th September:

Ljubljana (8:25am) - Split (21:30pm): with a change at Zagreb 10:49am-15:20pm

17th September:

Split (8:31am) - Zagreb (14:54pm)

Any help would be appreciated, thank you so much!

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

From Lj onward: all optional only-in those regions those who really have no car use the bus-hence the few trains and very slow speed. BUT Zag-Spl MUST be RES-and can only be done while in IR at an office. Its late season, so I would not expect probs. And use the better planner-the local railway or bahn.com

You are really saving to the last penny-and what sense would it make to book 2 sleepers-1 for just 2 hrs. But there is better news: its train that ALSO has a few cars that get shunted in that long stop to other trains to go on. I really do not understand why it should be 15 hrs daytime-the 2 or 3 by day take same traveltime-and have not the long wait in Scw-except when there are again works along the line-in that case the nite train likely will also take other lines (its single track via the mountains). Sleepers-the real ones (as /en/ is unable to differentiate between real sleeper and couchette) often are NOT allowing people in after xx or getting off before yy. This is Not India/China here.

For manual on howto RES all byourself-and cheaper too: find the one by seewulf-gets linked here about ev 2nd posting-noone even seems to be able to get the idea that all Qs have been posted here many times before-and answered too. But on this NJ trains even a seat will set you back at least 14€.