Solved

Istanbul - Thessaloniki - Switzerland

• 15 September 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello fellow travelers, 

I find it hard to find trains for my connection. There are no Trains between Instanbul and Thessaloniki as far as I understood, do you have another suggestion how I can get there? 

Also, I want to go from Thessaloniki to Zürich directly. There is no conneciton shown, did anyone do this trip before? I thought either to take the ferry to Italy and go by train up. But there is again no train to the port where the ferrys leve. Or I could go by land but I dont unterstand the connection I would have to take then. Please help me :)  

icon

Best answer by MartinM 15 September 2022, 12:53

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey,

there are buses from Istanbul to Thessaloniki, but they aren’t cheap. You can check on obilet.com. Enter departure from Istanbul Avrupa (Esenler bus station) and arrival in Selanik (Yunaninstan) [that’s Thessaloniki].

From Saloniki you can go either to Igoumenitsa (no train but I suppose there are buses) or you head by train and bus combination down to Athens and from there to Patras. From Patras you can take a ferry to Bari (e.g.). This ferry also stops in Igoumenitsa.

The overland route would be by bus to Sofia and from there by train via Vidin to Craiova and then by nighttrain to Vienna and from there railjet to Zürich or by daytime train from Sofia to Bucharest and then by train from Bucharest to Budapest/Vienna and again by railjet to Zürich.