Solved

Long journey to Stockholm : couple of questions

Hello everyone,

I am planning a trip to Scandinavia and I would like my first travel day to start in Rennes (Brittany, France) and end in Stockholm. This seems possible thanks to the night train Hamburg-Stockholm.

1. There are different routes to reach Hamburg. The quickest one seems through Paris and Cologne. The good point is that there are nearly hourly Cologne-Hamburg trains so if I get delayed in Paris, I can hope to catch up and be on time in Hamburg. The drawback is the high reservation fee on the Eurostar to Cologne : 32 € (compared to 42 € for a full ticket, checked today!). What would be your advice ? There are alternative routes through Brussels, Mannheim or Karlsruhe. They seem at first glance to take more time.
  2. I read about the two Hamburg-Stockholm night trains. Which one have you best experienced ? On the practical point of view, the Snälltåget leaves later, 23h59 (within same travel day I understand ?) so that may be safer. And I can find it on the Snälltåget’s calendar on their website. The SJ Euronight is « not available » yet, no problem, I can wait. But when I check for the days to come I cannot find a direct night train scheduled until March 29th (though Seat61 writes it works « daily all year round »). Can I be confident it will run late June ?

Here is my optional question : can I reach Norway without going through Germany ? I thought about going up to Scotland but I could not find a ferry to Bergen or other norwegian city. The only solution I found is up to the Feroe Islands and then down to Denmark. This is a dream but very long trip !

Thank you for reading my long message, and for any advice.

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 18 March 2024, 20:52

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Snälltåget now does a check of the pass number, probably just like B-Europe and Rail Europe. Fake pass numbers (e.g. I11111111) don't work anymore and nor do expired mobile pass numbers. A mobile pass number that has not been activated yet does work.

IIRC Snälltåget never had the possibility to specify a berth and don't have a ladies-only compartment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

On your Norway question, I think there is a ferry from Eemshaven near Groningen, to Kristiansand.

That ferry doesn't exist anymore, unfortunately. The company went bankrupt. There is some hope of a new start, maybe @Kees Eurotravel can say more?

Ah, that’s a shame. I was hoping to take it this summer!

Similarly, there used to be a ferry from my hometown of Newcastle to Bergen, but that’s long-since gone. There is hope for a return, though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

According to the experience from travellers in the Swedish FB group for train travellers, Snälltåget is more reliable than the SJ night train. Snälltåget also has a dining car with the train from Malmö to Stockholm. 

Snälltåget is open for reservations for the whole summer, whereas SJ Euronight can only be booked until 2nd June.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As far as I know the free reservations do not apply to international TGV/ICE journeys so you’d have to pay 18€. However you could go as far as Strasbourg or Lille for free and then cross the border on a regional train.

The direct Rennes - Strasbourg isn’t well timed but you could go via Le Mans (although times aren’t really good either). I guess your best bet is to go through Paris like usual.

Snälltåget is a good choice indeed. Time for dinner and enoiugh margin if there’s something bad en route.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

To make a Interrail reservation for Snälltåget, you must at the moment contact their customer support, as Interrail reservations for Snälltåget can't be made online right now. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes, Paris to Cologne can be expensive on the Eurostar, but slightly quicker than the alternatives.

I know French residents get a free reservation on their departing train from France, saving €10 or €20. I don’t know if this would also apply to the TGV/ ICE via Mannheim. Perhaps somebody else can advise, but if that is included, it’s a definite saving over the Eurostar.

On your Norway question, I think there is a ferry from Eemshaven near Groningen, to Kristiansand.

Thanks for your quick answer. I now understand why the reservation fee for Rennes-Paris is 10€ online and I had it for free last year at the SNCF station. Good to know ! I can go to the station and ask for the Paris-Mannheim TGV fee, I’ll write the answer in this topic.

Thanks for the Eemshaven-Kristiansand tip. I’ll study this route for another trip.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

That ferry doesn't exist anymore, unfortunately. The company went bankrupt. There is some hope of a new start, maybe @Kees Eurotravel can say more?

Thank you very much for all your answers, they will help me make the best choices !

I’ll go for the Snälltåget, and check the time tables with your suggestions to choose my route to Hamburg.

Have a nice evening, and wonderful train trips to come.

Thanks again.

I found part of this information on the Interrail page of the Snälltåget website.

Here are some piece of information if that can be helpful to anyone. And some more questions ;-), don’t know if I should have created a new topic..

From Britanny, I found Karlsruhe to be the best choice (time and price). Starting from Paris, Mannheim or Frankfurt are a better option I think.

I paid exactly as you wrote @thibcabe : “trajet d’approche” Rennes-Paris free, Paris-Karlsruhe 18 €. I did not choose to hop off at Strasbourg and cross the border on a regional train because of the next two trains to catch.

But that’s what I’ll do on my way back : direct train Strasbourg-Rennes, no fee. The SNCF agent adviced to book the TGV because I will be travelling back in the middlle of the Olympics. Beware of the Olympic cities if travelling July/August. TER is the alternative but there are not many on some TGV routes. I could not easily check that neither on sncf, db or raileurope websites, but I tested last year from Paris to Rennes, only one TER solution in the afternoon, 3 trains and 5 hours instead of 1.5 hour with TGV.

Snälltåget writes “it is now possible to book reservations online at Snälltåget.se“. Indeed there is a check box “I have an Interrail or Eurail Pass”. A pass number is required, and it says “In order to make a reservation, you must first validate your Pass”.

1. Is it new with the online procedure or was it already the same when booking via phone or mail (meaning Snälltåget has a different procedure than the other train companies) ? However, I tested and stopped just before paying, no check so far by the website.
  2. no way to choose ladies-only compartment or position of bunch (upper, lower). Have you any feedback about that ?

Thanks for reading me.