Lyon-Madrid train either not bookable or sold out. Suggestions?

I am hoping someone has a way around all the interrail site seat reservation restrictions. I plan on going from Lyon to Madrid on August 1. The first train is not sold out, it cannot be booked on the website. Can I only book it in-person? Other routes are sold out, I think. Are there any other "magical routes" through some other city or route? 

Thank you all in advance!

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

You can go all the way without reservation actually but it will take a lot of time and some of the trains won’t be very comfortable :-D.

Take TERs until Cerbere. Then go via Port Bou, Girona to Barcelona. From Barcelona you take the once a day slow train.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The best compromise is to try to get a FRench local TGV till f.e. NImes/Beziers/Perpignan (best=farthest) or Narbonne- NOT MOntpellier-as it has a separate TGV stop miles afar. Maybe if lucky even for 10€. The local TER trains ev 1 or 2 hrs till Port Bou via Cerbere and idem RENFE Rodalies Expr. Catalan trenes till Bcn-these also make many mores tops in town in the tunnel-maybe much closer to your hoStel or B&B