Solved

Missed connection train with reservation due to delays of previous train. Can I get a compensation/refund for the TGV I had to take instead?

• 25 July 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge
  • Full steam ahead
  • 13 replies

Hi All,

I’m travelling with an Interrail pass and I’m currently on the route Brussels —> Paris —> Barcelona. 

Original Plan 

• Thalys BRU-PAR, reserved through Interrail reservation service
  • ICN (night train) PAR-Latour de Carrol, reserved with Interrail reservation service 

Thalys got more than 2 hours delayed due to multiple issues, so I missed my connection last night for the ICN.

I want to continue my journey to Barcelona today and got a “Titre de rupture de correspondence” at the Paris train station to allow me travelling onwards on the next connection to Barcelona. I’m now on this train (TGV), however they ask me to pay 54 euros for the seat reservation (even though I’ve to stand as there’s not even any seats left). 

What are my rights here for compensation/refund? As the cost is increasing rapidly when you’ve to make multiple expansive reservations. 

icon

Best answer by Claudi. 29 August 2022, 09:08

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello, I am sorry to read of these significant delays and its impact on your journey. We do offer compensation in this case which you can request by filling out this form. Our refund refund policy is available on the page too. In a nutshell we offer a small compensation based on the length of your delay. We can also request a refund on a missed reservation from the relevant booking company. Please ensure to include all details in the form for an accurate evaluation. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You are entitled to:

• onward transport without additional costs
  • accommodation for the night without additional costs
  • compensation for delay

The railway company is not allowed to ask any money for the continuation of your journey. They must propose an alternative without extra costs.

@Claudi. did not mention anything about this, but do ask for a refund of the extra reservation you were forced to buy.

What if the connecting railcompanies are not the same, is somebody responsible for the extra costs and can I get a refund? Today the nightjet from Utrecht to Basel was delayed for 2 hours. In Basel the SBB information Office gave us the plan for the quickest way to Milano and told us there to go to the Frecce information point to change the seetreservation for the Frecciarossa to Bari. On our way to Milano I tried to change our reservation via Interrail reservation, but there were no seets available according to the Interrail site, so changing was not possible. In Milano Frecce confirmed this and told us there were no standaard (interrail) reservations available for the rest of the day so we had to buy businessclass tickets and pay the full price. Can I get a refund for these tickets, and if so by which company?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

What if the connecting railcompanies are not the same, is somebody responsible for the extra costs and can I get a refund? Today the nightjet from Utrecht to Basel was delayed for 2 hours. In Basel the SBB information Office gave us the plan for the quickest way to Milano and told us there to go to the Frecce information point to change the seetreservation for the Frecciarossa to Bari. On our way to Milano I tried to change our reservation via Interrail reservation, but there were no seets available according to the Interrail site, so changing was not possible. In Milano Frecce confirmed this and told us there were no standaard (interrail) reservations available for the rest of the day so we had to buy businessclass tickets and pay the full price. Can I get a refund for these tickets, and if so by which company?

Trenitalia were responsible to get you to your destination without extra costs, or give you accommodation for the night and get you to your destination the next day, again all without extra costs for you.

They could have offered you any free seat but chose not to, so Trenitalia would be the first place to complain. After that, the Italian enforcement body.

Okay, Thanks for your reply. I will try to get the refund there. 

I contacted Trenitalia today, no refund possible because the ticket from Milano to Bari was a single ticket. According to the guy I spoke I needed a reservation including the previous (delayed) train. I'v never heard or read about this. We made our reservation to Milano via OBB because of the additional sleeper cabin in the Nightjet. The seat reservation for the train from Milano to Bari I made via Eurail. When I explained this to the Trenitalia employe he said that I should have changed my reservation via the Eurail app before the train departure in Milano. I tried but couldn't because there where no standard tickets available anymore that day. I also called Trenitaly that morning and waited for more than 15 minutes but I didn't speak to anyone. Is it true that you can't get a refund with a single ticket and that you need a full travel reservation (not for every train is a reservations necessary/possible)?