Solved

Missed Eurostar due to delayed or cancelled train; what happens?

• 18 November 2023
  • 7 replies

I am planning a trip late December from the UK into Netherlands/brussels via the Eurostar. I have checked b-europe and can see the availability for interrail reservations is very slim, but on the actual Eurostar website there still seems to be a good amount of availability for all services that day

UK trains have notoriously been either delayed or cancelled during the Christmas period due to strikes and I think its fair to assume this is likely to affect my trip, and potentially my arrival time into st pancreas.

On b-europe interrail reservations are available for the 11am eurostar, but thats the last one for the entire day. So I am confused as to whether I would be totally stuck in London if my train is delayed or cancelled, as I will be travelling with an interrail pass, not a specific eurostar ticket.

icon

Best answer by ralderton 18 November 2023, 14:43

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

As long as you’ve left sufficient time between your trains, as shown on a timetable, Eurostar will generally put you on the next train for free. 

It’s better to get confirmation of the delay from your domestic train, but they can look it up. 

You won’t need availability for pass holder fares. There just needs to be a seat available.

As long as you’ve left sufficient time between your trains, as shown on a timetable, Eurostar will generally put you on the next train for free. 

It’s better to get confirmation of the delay from your domestic train, but they can look it up. 

You won’t need availability for pass holder fares. There just needs to be a seat available.

That is reassuring, thanks for your reply.

You might not be able to answer this one, but do you know what they would class as ‘sufficient’ ? I am planning around an hour and a half window from the time I arrive in st pancres.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You might not be able to answer this one, but do you know what they would class as ‘sufficient’ ? I am planning around an hour and a half window from the time I arrive in st pancres.

Arriving in St Pancras from where? There are set minimum connection times for all UK stations that would have to be added to the min Eurostar check-in which is 30 minutes.

Arriving in St Pancras from where? There are set minimum connection times for all UK stations that would have to be added to the min Eurostar check-in which is 30 minutes.

I go from Bristol > Paddington > tube > St Pancras

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If it appears in a journey planner, it’s generally sufficient - because they have the minimum connecting time built into them.

Eg bahn.com

If it appears in a journey planner, it’s generally sufficient - because they have the minimum connecting time built into them.

Eg bahn.com

Great I will have a play around with that planner!

Thanks again for all the help 😃

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Minimum connection time for arrival at Paddington to Eurostar departure is 1h20 (between 7am and 7pm).