Solved

Missing a train connection - What if

• 30 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi!

What are the rules on missing a train connection if I haven’t reserved part of the journey?

This is the route I am planning to take:

Budapest (07h55) → Munich (14h32): Seat Reservations recommended

14min transfer

Munich (14h46) → Mannheim (17h28): Seat Reservations optional

10min transfer

Mannheim (17h38) → Paris Est (20h43): Seat reservations required

What happens if I miss a connection along the way or if I am denied boarding in Budapest because I did not take the recommended seat reservation? Am I allowed to continue to travel? And will I lose my seat reservation for the Paris train? 

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 30 April 2024, 16:59

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You won't get denied boarding in Budapest, you may have to stand on the other hand though. Worth the 3€ reservation through ÖBB.

This itinerary is way too tight. I'll have a look at stats but there's maybe 20% chance you make it.

As soon as you're likely to miss a train, go speak to staff onboard. Do not wait until the station with large queues.

Staff should be able to print you a new reservation for the following train but then the train to Paris could be sold out = you'll have to ask gently ask staff on the platform before boarding the cross-border TGV/ICE. But please try to avoid this situation in the first place.

Plan 45 min-1h margin in both Munich and Mannheim/Stuttgart. You must do that with the ever so frequent German delays.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I'd be much more comfortable with:

- RJX Budapest-Keleti - München Hbf 07:40 - 14:32 (it leaves Kelenföld in the outskirts at 07:55)

- first ICE you can take towards Stuttgart (there are plenty) : 2h-2h30 journey

- TGV Stuttgart Hbf - Paris-Est 18:52 - 22:13 18€

You won't get stressed all day and will be able to enjoy the scenery relaxed. :)

Times subject to engineering works, there are also plenty of them!