Solved

Mobile Pass and night trains. Can I book a sleeping compartment and is it paper or e-ticket?

• 5 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Can I book a place in a sleeping compartment if I have a mobile pass? Do I get a paper or an electronic confirmation? Do I need to print it?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 5 February 2022, 11:57

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes, that is in most cases-the nr of nighttrains is not that big for now.

As they are run by various different railways and all very much like to have their very own system of booking etc, it all differs. In general though most in north-west EUR are so advanced that it all goes via the fone and scan.

Note that in many cases (NightJet) you only get a slight discount off the price, which means it may not even be such a good buy.

In some countries domestic nighttrains must be reserved at their own ticket counters in such cases one usually gets an old-style paper ticket. As for now-pandemic-there may also be extra rules for distancing and not sharing with strangers.

Are you Russky? Then note it differs quite a bit from RZD. Its either real sleeper (max 3, 1 or 2 is usually only for 1st cl) or couchette/liegewagen. Sleeper is far more luxurious as kupey in RZD, couchette is a bit more basic, but its in compartments of 4 or 6, so no ´platskart!

Some say you save a hotel-thats overdoing it. You save a hoStelbed (multi-bed rooms) and these most often cost less and offer more as the supplmt for a sleeper.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Can I book a place in a sleeping compartment if I have a mobile pass? Do I get a paper or an electronic confirmation? Do I need to print it?

Sure you can book night train reservations for your pass. Paper or electronic reservation depends on how you book and what the sales point where you book offers. If you get an electronic reservation, it's often better to print it, because the coach attendant often keeps the reservation for the night and will give it back in the morning.

If you want to know for a particular train, then please say for which train.

Hello @rvdborgt ,
I am interested in booking a berth in sleeping car 2 Class in the night train from Stockholm to Narvik managed by the rail operator SJ.
From the Rail Planner App, I can only book a seat and not a berth, see attached. Do you know if I can book a berth by using my Interail Global Pass ? If you do, how can I proceed please ?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Trains in Sweden are best booked via SJ. You need to enter a pass cover number (request one here if you have a mobile pass, do mention when you need to travel).

You can book a seat but also a berth in a couchette or a bed in a sleeper coach.

Thank you very much @rvdborgt ,
Just to be sure that I understood well :
- As soon I have my Global Pass, I submit a request through the link you previously shared to ask for a ‘pass cover number’.
- Then, I soon I have the ‘pass cover number’ to validate my reservation, I go on SJ website in order to book the berch/bed train ticket. At the payment step, I use the ‘pass cover number’.

Do you know how much is roughly the additional cost for a berth in a couchette or a bed in a sleeper coach ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

- As soon I have my Global Pass, I submit a request through the link you previously shared to ask for a ‘pass cover number’.
- Then, I soon I have the ‘pass cover number’, I go on SJ website in order to book the berch/bed train ticket. At the payment step, I use the ‘pass cover number’.

Correct. The pass cover number for Interrail is a capital letter i and 8 digits.

Do you know how much is roughly the additional cost for a berth in a couchette or a bed in a sleeper coach ?

I did a test for 10 May:

berth in a shared 6-berth couchette compartment: SEK 227

bed in a shared 3-bed sleeper compartment: SEK 444

@rvdborgt ,

your reactivity and your accurate answers are really great, I do appreciate, thanks a lot.