Solved

Monterosso to Milan April

• 22 December 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

The Monterosso to Milan scheduler at trentitaiia for the day I want to travel (April 19) says “Sold out seats on train 670. Solution cannot be purchased”. I understand that’s a poor translation that really means the schedule hasn’t been made available yet and bookings are only available till Feb 18 or so .

The first puzzle is, how do I know when the seats are truly sold out and when they’re just not available? Theoretically I could be waiting months, checking every week only to eventually find I actually did miss the booking window and the seats are really sold out.

Therefore, to try to see what might become available I have tried to use a Friday in Feb to see what might eventually become available. Following is the result. I am 66, my wife is 64 and we have a Eurail 1st class pass. Would I be correct in following the process to book the Economy 1st class, which theoretically gives me the option to change my booking date/time if necessary?

icon

Best answer by Al_G 22 December 2023, 05:47

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You are massively overthinking this and stressing yourself out unnecessarily.

The majority of trains do not run 100% full and there is zero chance a random IC train in Italy will be fully booked out 4 months in advance.

Just to illustrate the point, that train today, in 10 hours from now, the last Friday before Christmas, is still available to book and is about 75% empty in 1st class.

It also has availability every day between now and the new year and every day on the week after that and at that point I stopped looking.

There are a few exceptions where trains will potentially book out in advance; night trains with sleeper, couchette and limited seats, a handful of pinch points where the provided service is regularly lower than the demand such as Eurostar to/from Britain and Paris/South France to Barcelona.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thanks for the info. I see what you mean. i have taken your comments to heart and started booking trains where possible, and monitor others regularly to see when they come up. So far, it has been much less painful than I thought. Some elements are still confusing and I am raising questions where needed, but I think the worst of the pain is finally over for me. 

Thanks again!!!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Just looking to make my reservations on this train. Following is a screen print showing the train I’d ideally like to catch but not sure which option to choose with my 1st class Eurail pass. And are these prices right for a seat reservation?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can't book passholder reservations on Trenitalia, those are regular ticket prices.

Use https://shop.oebbtickets.at/en/ticket or​​​​https://www.raileurope.com/en (seat selection for 2€ extra I believe) -> 3€, no fee.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

BTW I am a Senior (66 YO), if that makes a difference

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

BTW I am a Senior (66 YO), if that makes a difference

Seat reservations are always the same price regardless of age. In this case €3.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thanks for your assistance.