Solved

My train is cancelled by SNCF. Can I get the full refund?

• 31 December 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi, I have a question about the cancellation. My train from Zurich direct to Paris is cancelled by SNCF. 

I have global pass so I only booked the seat reservation originally.

I tried to cancel the reservation and get the refund on Eurail website.

However, it showed that I can only get 30 euros back. ( The reservation costed 35 euros)

Is it possible that I get the full refund? If it is possible, how can I apply for it?

icon

Best answer by mcadv 1 January 2022, 12:09

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

IN this price-if you also booked via the site, is a low non-refundable fee for the service they make for you-perhaps that explains this.

Also: you can do it for cheaper by simply changing in Basel-use a non-reserved (ev 30 min) SBB IC train to Basel and TGV from there-then its considered local domestic FR and cost 10 or 20 eur. You then also have a wider choice of trains, but the total ride takes a little longer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

IN this price-if you also booked via the site, is a low non-refundable fee for the service they make for you-perhaps that explains this.

Please check the facts before you write such a thing. The nominal reservation fee is 35 EUR and Eurail's booking fee is 2 EUR on top of that (if you booked it through them). In case of a cancellation by the railway and an expected delay of more than 1 hour, you're entitled to get at least these 35 EUR back (and in my opinion also the 2 EUR booking fee).

Do not cancel yourself since that means you initiate it and you may only get a partial refund (or none at all) based on the normal terms and conditions. The best is to contact customer service and ask them how to get a full refund.