Solved

Need help figuring out how to get to 2 destinations

Hi All,

We have booked a very last minute Europe trip and I now see that I left it way too late for the Eurail passes and now I’m stressing!

I paid for 2x global pass for 4 travel days.

I’ve managed to get seats for a few of our legs, but there are 2 that have no seats available and I don’t know what to do.

On the 14th of July we need to leave Paris and arrive in Amsterdam on the same day

On the 16th of July we need to leave Amsterdam and go to London

(Ideally the earliest train possible for both)

When looking at reservations I just pressed the top result for the area as I’m not familiar with the many stations - could anyone suggest any stations that I might have some luck with? If we have to go further out to make it work then so be it!

Thankyou :)

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 23 June 2022, 07:55

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

ever heard of a FRench fenomenon, named 14/7? National holiday-big party-start of holiday for many? Thats when trains get overcrowded, plus that you lack the knowledge about ALTernatives-INland TGV to LIlle-then regional (free on pass) train to Antwerpen-change-Amsterdam. The direct hi-speed trains are named Thalys and at the mo suffer from serious defects and trainsets having sent to repair. TGV must be REServed-its even possible to avoid this by using more local trains-will lenghten travel time more.

What do you mean ´EURope? AMS IS in Europe-as long as it sits there along the river Amstel. trains from AMS run 24 hrs-on the airport line, so a few mins after 0.00 can be done-but not that far

What do you mean ´EURope? AMS IS in Europe-as long as it sits there along the river Amstel. trains from AMS run 24 hrs-on the airport line, so a few mins after 0.00 can be done-but not that far

Sorry my bad, I meant London (edited now to fix that up).

So we would need to use TGV to get to LIlle where we could then apply our rail pass? While that definitely will work, it looks like it’ll cost an additional $600 AUD which is extremely expensive!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

For Amsterdam to London on 16 July, there is stil plenty of availability on the Eurostar Brussels-London. Book one of those trains and use the hourly intercity (no reservations) to get to Brussels. Do take the Eurostar check-in times into account.

For Paris to Amsterdam on 14 July, there is still some availability Paris - Brussels:

Paris - Brussels for 2 persons

In Brussels, change to the hourly intercity train to Amsterdam.

You’re a lifesaver! 

We ended up booking a flight from Amsterdam to Paris, but I took your advice and booked one of the Thalys trains. 

Thankyou! :)