Solved

Night train starting at 23:59- how many travel days

• 19 June 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi everyone,

I am currently planning a trip to Sweden and I am thinking about taking the night train from Hamburg to Malmö at 23:59 on a Friday. Do I need to spend one travel day for this one minute until midnight? The website says that journeys between 12am and 23:59 are considered travel days so I am not sure about my situation. I will continue with a different train in Malmö, so the Saturday will be a travel day anyways.

In case, I’d have to use the Friday as a travel day, can I also just already take an IC/ICE within Germnany to get to Hamburg even though I am not leaving the country on Friday but on the night train sometime Saturday morning (I am from Germany so this is about the home country rule)?

Thanks a lot!!

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 19 June 2022, 16:25

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

All days when you board a train (scheduled departure) before midnight are traveldays so, yes, the Friday will be a travelday and you can take a train from your home town to Hamburg earlier that day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi everyone,

I am currently planning a trip to Sweden and I am thinking about taking the night train from Hamburg to Malmö at 23:59 on a Friday. Do I need to spend one travel day for this one minute until midnight? The website says that journeys between 12am and 23:59 are considered travel days so I am not sure about my situation. I will continue with a different train in Malmö, so the Saturday will be a travel day anyways.

In case, I’d have to use the Friday as a travel day, can I also just already take an IC/ICE within Germnany to get to Hamburg even though I am not leaving the country on Friday but on the night train sometime Saturday morning (I am from Germany so this is about the home country rule)?

Thanks a lot!!

The 23.59 Nighttrain you mean the Intercity to Copenhagen? or the Nighttrain of snälltaget?
In case of the Intercity just take a regionaltrain and catch the Intercity in Flensburg (or if the Intercity still goes via Kiel in Kiel :) )

The 23.59 Nighttrain you mean the Intercity to Copenhagen? or the Nighttrain of snälltaget?
In case of the Intercity just take a regionaltrain and catch the Intercity in Flensburg (or if the Intercity still goes via Kiel in Kiel :) )

I am planning on taking the Nighttrain of snälltaget so unfortunately, it’s not possible to go to the next stop. But thanks anyways!! :)

All days when you board a train (scheduled departure) before midnight are traveldays so, yes, the Friday will be a travelday and you can take a train from your home town to Hamburg earlier that day.

Thanks for the quick reply!! :) That’s unfortunate but at least, I can take a more reliable and faster train to get to Hamburg.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

This is quite interesting. What if the train would be +1 minute late (or more)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

This is quite interesting. What if the train would be +1 minute late (or more)?

It is the scheduled departure time that counts.