Solved

Night train starting at 23:59- how many travel days

• 19 June 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi everyone,

I am currently planning a trip to Sweden and I am thinking about taking the night train from Hamburg to Malmö at 23:59 on a Friday. Do I need to spend one travel day for this one minute until midnight? The website says that journeys between 12am and 23:59 are considered travel days so I am not sure about my situation. I will continue with a different train in Malmö, so the Saturday will be a travel day anyways.

In case, I’d have to use the Friday as a travel day, can I also just already take an IC/ICE within Germnany to get to Hamburg even though I am not leaving the country on Friday but on the night train sometime Saturday morning (I am from Germany so this is about the home country rule)?

Thanks a lot!!

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 19 June 2022, 16:25

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

This is quite interesting. What if the train would be +1 minute late (or more)?

It is the scheduled departure time that counts. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi everyone,

I am currently planning a trip to Sweden and I am thinking about taking the night train from Hamburg to Malmö at 23:59 on a Friday. Do I need to spend one travel day for this one minute until midnight? The website says that journeys between 12am and 23:59 are considered travel days so I am not sure about my situation. I will continue with a different train in Malmö, so the Saturday will be a travel day anyways.

In case, I’d have to use the Friday as a travel day, can I also just already take an IC/ICE within Germnany to get to Hamburg even though I am not leaving the country on Friday but on the night train sometime Saturday morning (I am from Germany so this is about the home country rule)?

Thanks a lot!!

The 23.59 Nighttrain you mean the Intercity to Copenhagen? or the Nighttrain of snälltaget?
In case of the Intercity just take a regionaltrain and catch the Intercity in Flensburg (or if the Intercity still goes via Kiel in Kiel :) )

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

All days when you board a train (scheduled departure) before midnight are traveldays so, yes, the Friday will be a travelday and you can take a train from your home town to Hamburg earlier that day.

The 23.59 Nighttrain you mean the Intercity to Copenhagen? or the Nighttrain of snälltaget?
In case of the Intercity just take a regionaltrain and catch the Intercity in Flensburg (or if the Intercity still goes via Kiel in Kiel :) )

I am planning on taking the Nighttrain of snälltaget so unfortunately, it’s not possible to go to the next stop. But thanks anyways!! :)

All days when you board a train (scheduled departure) before midnight are traveldays so, yes, the Friday will be a travelday and you can take a train from your home town to Hamburg earlier that day.

Thanks for the quick reply!! :) That’s unfortunate but at least, I can take a more reliable and faster train to get to Hamburg.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

This is quite interesting. What if the train would be +1 minute late (or more)?