Solved

Nightjet OBB from Freiburg to Duisburg for German citizens

• 28 February 2023
  • 8 replies

Hi

we would like to travel to Denmark from Freiburg, Germany, to get a ferry there to Norway.

It is possible to take the ÖBB Nightjet from Freiburg to Duisburg (starts 00:05) and then from Duisburg on another trains to cross the border as an outbound Traveldays? Someone said, this is not possible for people living in Germany, because the Nightjet is an Austrian train and does not cross the border to Denmark. It only would be possible to take the Night IC (which is actually the same train, but the German part with no cabins) to do this part as an outbound travel. 

Is this correct?

And, in case it is incorrect, where could I buy the tickets for the NJ then, online?

Gerne auch Antworten in Deutsch.

Viele Grüße aus Freiburg.

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 28 February 2023, 09:34

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

The inbound/outbound travel days mean that you can take as many trains as you want in your home country too. And yes, you can take the Nightjet. Since the nightjet leaves at 0:05, you will be able to take as much trains as needed to get to Norway/out of the country until 23:59 of that same day. Which gives you a lot of options.

Best book via ÖBB, or the Nightjet website. Book like an ordinary ticket, but select the Interrail discount, under the passenger details change it via the under “adult” or “Erwachsene” and then you should see the seating/bed reservation options.

Thank you for this answer

I thought so too. But then I went to a DB Reisezentrum to ask if it is possible to make a reservation for the NJ without having the Interrail Global Pass (cause we do not know yet which Pass we will actually need, 5, days, 7 days...)….and they told me it is not possible to take the NJ with an Interrailpass in this case and for us as germans. And they explained this because the NJ is an Austrian Train, which will not bring us over the border and therefore we could not use it as a night train (with it cabins), cause it is not possible to use a night train as outbound when it does not cross the border.

So you think this is a false statement?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

They are right with that if you don’t have a global pass (or intend to buy a global pass). With a one country pass, e.g. One country pass in Norway that you might consider, you only can use trains in Norway.

But if you intend to buy a global pass, but just doubt how many days you need, you should be able to make reservations and the information they gave is false. Wether the nightjet is Austrian, or part of that trains route is only in Germany, does not matter. Whichever amount of days you have on a global pass, you always have the right to travel in your home country on two of the travel days. On those days, you can use as many trains as you want to get out of the country, or to get to a ferry port, or airport.

Thanks,

the problem they told me is that it is a night train and we are germans that want to travel with this foreign night train which has its last stop in Germany and not in Denmark….

so you say this is no problem?

Another 2 questions:

1. Is it possible to make a reservation for the NJ without the Interrail Pass? We will buy a Global Pass but are not yet shure about our Traveldays…
  1. Someone told me also, you cannot do reservations for trains with an Interrail Pass when you want to do this more than 6 weeks in advance. Is this right?
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

the problem they told me is that it is a night train and we are germans that want to travel with this foreign night train which has its last stop in Germany and not in Denmark….

so you say this is no problem?

Correct.

1. Is it possible to make a reservation for the NJ without the Interrail Pass? We will buy a Global Pass but are not yet shure about our Traveldays…

That's no problem. Either from the ticket office (just ask straight for an Interrail reservation, I never had a problem with this in Germany) or online from ÖBB.

1. Someone told me also, you cannot do reservations for trains with an Interrail Pass when you want to do this more than 6 weeks in advance. Is this right?

You can make reservations whenever the reservations are open. For some trains that's 30 days in advance, for others 2, 3 or even 6 months in advance. There's no general fixed reservation period for Interrail, it all depends on the train and/or the train company.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

For when do you plan? For this summer, it’s quite advisable to get your nighttrain reservations well in time.

Reservations in Norway you get by calling https://entur.no/ , possible reservations for the Hamburg-Denmark trains here: https://travel.b-europe.com/dsb-rail/dk/reservation-only#TravelWish .

Thank you very much for all your helpful answers!

Yes, we plan to travel this summer, thanks for the two links. I will check them out as soon as possible.

Greetings from Freiburg in Germany !

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Reservations in Norway you get by calling https://entur.no/ ,

Entur now also have a chat on their website, that can also be used to book reservations.