Solved

No possible seat reservation Marseille to Madrid

• 5 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Hello, 

tomorrow I want to travel from Marseille St Charles to Madrid-Puerta De Atocha with Train RSC 9731.

Because it was planned at short notice I went to the ticket office at the train station in Marseille. Unfortunately, it was not possible for me to reserve a seat for the train tomorrow. I could only buy a ticket with a seat but since I already have the Interrail ticket I only need a seat. Unfortunately, there is no way to book the seat reservation online or via the app. 
What am I doing wrong? What option do I have now? 

Best regards, Max

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 5 October 2022, 14:03

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

This TGV only has limited pass holder seats and they often sell out days in advance, or weeks in advance on busy days.

I'd suggest to travel via Portbou, e.g.:

In Portbou, you can buy a reservation for the train Girona - Barcelona (should be €4) and an AVE Barcelona - Madrid (should be €10). You can also stay on the regional train, which currently only continues to Barcelona Sant Andreu Comtal (arr. 17:05) and not Barcelona-Sants because of engineering works and you'll need to use the metro to get to Sants station.

From Barcelona-Sants, there are AVEs to Madrid at 17:00 (but that's too soon), 18:00, 18:25 (arrives earlier than the 18:00 departure), 19:00, 19:25 (arrives earlier than the 19:00 departure), 20:00. Check www.raileurope.com (keep in mind Interrail is not valid in Ouigo).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you like an early start:

Reservation only needed for the AVE, not for the "IR” (which is actually an MD, reservation-free on this line).

Thank you very much for the detailed answer!