Skip to main content

Hello, 

tomorrow I want to travel from Marseille St Charles to Madrid-Puerta De Atocha with Train RSC 9731.

Because it was planned at short notice I went to the ticket office at the train station in Marseille. Unfortunately, it was not possible for me to reserve a seat for the train tomorrow. I could only buy a ticket with a seat but since I already have the Interrail ticket I only need a seat. Unfortunately, there is no way to book the seat reservation online or via the app. 
What am I doing wrong? What option do I have now? 

Best regards, Max

This TGV only has limited pass holder seats and they often sell out days in advance, or weeks in advance on busy days.

I'd suggest to travel via Portbou, e.g.:

In Portbou, you can buy a reservation for the train Girona - Barcelona (should be €4) and an AVE Barcelona - Madrid (should be €10). You can also stay on the regional train, which currently only continues to Barcelona Sant Andreu Comtal (arr. 17:05) and not Barcelona-Sants because of engineering works and you'll need to use the metro to get to Sants station.

From Barcelona-Sants, there are AVEs to Madrid at 17:00 (but that's too soon), 18:00, 18:25 (arrives earlier than the 18:00 departure), 19:00, 19:25 (arrives earlier than the 19:00 departure), 20:00. Check www.raileurope.com (keep in mind Interrail is not valid in Ouigo).

If you like an early start:

Reservation only needed for the AVE, not for the "IR” (which is actually an MD, reservation-free on this line).

Thank you very much for the detailed answer!