Solved

NOMAD TRAIN; Problem journey not exists

• 28 November 2021
  • 13 replies

I am trying to add a journey to my trip in France (called Nomad train). I dont need a reservation.

The app doesn't put the trains that usually travel between the 2 cities I wanna travel. There is no solution to take another train to come home.

On the France app Oui sncf, we can still buy tickets between those 2 cities and I ALREADY USED interrail for this same train between the 2 cities 2 months ago.

How can I do to add this journey when it doesnt exist in the app?

Moderator note: correction to information above; as checked with SNCF you do need a reservation for this train. 

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 28 November 2021, 05:09

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In the planner results, scroll to the bottom and tap on "add it manually”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

NOte: I had same problem last trip in sept.

NOMAD is the new name for the former TER longer distance Express trains FROM Paris to Normandie (Cherbourg via Caen and le havre via Rouen). FROM Paris they need to be reserved now and the platforms are gated and only passable with some kind of ticket with code.

I did not discover how this works and if you have to pay.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

NOte: I had same problem last trip in sept.

NOMAD is the new name for the former TER longer distance Express trains FROM Paris to Normandie (Cherbourg via Caen and le havre via Rouen). FROM Paris they need to be reserved now and the platforms are gated and only passable with some kind of ticket with code.

I did not discover how this works and if you have to pay.

These reservations are nor mandatory anymore. For the gates, just try the QR code that the app generates or ask the staff. Gates do not determine the validity of your pass.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi, as mcadv mentioned NOMAD is indeed the new name for the former TER longer distance Express trains from Paris to Normandy. I've checked it with SNCF and we received the following update: The Normandy region has changed its inventory and reservations are compulsory. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There is a minor add-on,but perhaps it has changed again since further covid-measures.

I had same prob last aug when the very first of my InterrailTrips was just there, starting at paris St. lazare. GATES-only there on these lines, now exist. REServation is only compulsory for trips to/fro terminal Paris, which of course is the bulk of trips anyway, but not for intermediate stations/trips, f.e. Rouen-le Havre. However, other as for the TGV lines, there seems to be no way to make these on the machines, but perhaps this also saves you to pay yet another 10 eur. As my planned train was due to leave in 5 mins, I simply joined another pasenger-on the train there was no check at all for REServations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi, as mcadv mentioned NOMAD is indeed the new name for the former TER longer distance Express trains from Paris to Normandy. I've checked it with SNCF and we received the following update: The Normandy region has changed its inventory and reservations are compulsory. 

NOMAD is the name of the entire network in the Normandy region, not just of the long distance express trains.

On the website of TER Normandie, this page says that since 17/12/2021, reservation is mandatory for some trains on some days. So… either this page is not correct or SNCF's update was incomplete. In any case, it would be good if SNCF would make their information consistent. In the timetable data they send to the European Timetable Centre, these trains have mandatory reservations every day (e.g. Paris to Le Havre), which is not in line with the page mentioned above. If the reservation page mentioned is correct, then SNCF are sending incorrect timetable data.

It doesn't help that SNCF's own timetables, such as their planner (or the Normandie planner) or their PDF timetables ("fiches horaires”) do not mention anything about mandatory reservations.

@Nanja, could you please ask SNCF which information is correct and if they could make their information consistent, so Eurail/Interrail passengers have clear and consistent information?

Edit: on Twitter, SNCF say you can still use the trains without reservation and stand if there are no seats available:

So we now have 3 different statements, depending on where you look or ask.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi, that's indeed confusing. Sorry about that. I will look into it and get back to you once I know more.

Update: we understand it can be confusing, but the difference is in the web pages being applicable for regular customers, while the update we were given and forwarded is applicable to Pass holders specifically. So just to confirm, pass holders need a reservation. 

Cheers, 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Update: we understand it can be confusing, but the difference is in the web pages being applicable for regular customers, while the update we were given and forwarded is applicable to Pass holders specifically. So just to confirm, pass holders need a reservation. 

@Nanja I only see your update now.

The web page doesn't say anything about regular customers. It's written without any limitations, so automatically applies to all passengers. In addition, SNCF have not given any explanation for the tweet by @train_nomad.

So the status remains that we have 3 different statements, depending on where you look or ask and  we now know that SNCF apparently prefer to keep this confusion alive :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@rvdborgt, unfortunately the only thing we can do is to verify it with them directly with the point of contact we have to check what applies to Pass holders. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Update: we asked them again to adjust their information, rvdborgt and our contact person confirmed that the different teams will be instructed to modify the pages. Hopefully the pages will be changed soon. Cheers, 

Hi, I’m trying to verify if a reservation would be required on TER from Paris to Bayeux Normandie, on Sunday October 30 and return November 1, Tuesday.  I’ve been unable to contact any help.  I am a Eurail passholder.  Has the information on this thread matured to be able to answer this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi, I’m trying to verify if a reservation would be required on TER from Paris to Bayeux Normandie, on Sunday October 30 and return November 1, Tuesday.  I’ve been unable to contact any help.  I am a Eurail passholder.  Has the information on this thread matured to be able to answer this?

Yes, reservations are required on the fast (Krono+ and some Krono branded) TER trains in this region, but only for journeys to/from Paris. On the same trains reservations are not necessary for journeys

Of course this being SNCF, it is not possible to just buy the reservations online from them, unless you are a regular French commuter.

All reports are that the simplest is to just buy at the station, either ticket office or possibly ticket machines, unless you are travelling on a peak commuter train (to Paris early morning or from Paris 4-7pm) it is unlikely to be full.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

All reports are that the simplest is to just buy at the station, either ticket office or possibly ticket machines,

Correct, and this can be done anywhere in France. You need the white "Grandes Lignes” ticket machines and add the Eurail discount.