Skip to main content

I have made seat reservations on OBB and it says that I can download the PDF, but because I have protection on them, if I do that right now, they lose that. What happens if I click to see my tickets on the mobile app? Do they become a scannable ticket in the app or a PDF that I have to print? At first glance, it doesn’t look like any say that it’s required to print them out, but is there a way to make sure? Not all of my tickets are for places within Austria and from what I saw, it’ll be 50/50 if I can print them if I’m not in Austria (at least from an OBB station).

No idea about the app.

You can show the tickets from your phone (PDFs). Always fine.

However if you download the PDFs you cannot refund them later (strange policy). I usually download them on the day.

@thibcabe Thank you! Hearing that I can use the tickets from my phone is good to know! Do you know if there’s ever a time when I’ll have to have my tickets printed? I feel like by now most places should be okay with an e-ticket but you never know.

I took a Croatian and a Polish sleeping car this month. Both times, the attendant was pretty cross with me that I didn't have a printed PDF, but were eventually happy with taking a photo of my phone.

The second guy wanted me to create the PDF - he wasn't happy with displaying reservation in the ÖBB app.

@ralderton So, it’ll be 50/50 if they’ll take an e-ticket. The places I’m staying at will most likely have a printer, which should allow me to print them a bit closer to when I take those trains. It sounds like with OBB tickets, I could print them at a station, but from what I’ve seen those can only be found in Austria.

1. If I were to find a clerk at the train station, would they be able to print them out?
  2. If I were to print them out before the trip and all of my information stayed the same, but timetables shifted, would they still accept it? 

Some of them are already e-tickets, there’s at least one where I’ve been told to print at home. So, I’m going to assume that should be the main one to worry about to have a printout of. 

The major travel I have is: Glasgow to London, London to Toulouse, Toulouse to Zurich, Zurich to Munich, Munich to Vienna, Vienna to Rome, Rome to Milan, and Milan to Frankfurt

All of those trips should be fine on your phone. It’s only when you get further East that the staff start insisting on paper.

So, it’ll be 50/50 if they’ll take an e-ticket.

Ralderton only mentioned night trains. For those you should print the PDFs. Otherwise I wouldn't worry at all.