Solved

Optional reservation. Should I book it or not necessary?

• 26 June 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi everyone,

i will use the Interrail Global Pass to travel by train with my partner from Helsinki to Rovaniemi (in late august) using a night train. The website says that no reservation is necessary but it is optional. Should i buy the reservation for a total of 23€? or if it isn’t necessary it means that there are almost always free seats on the train? Which are the risks in this case?

If you already had a similar experience and you wish to share it with me i’d be pleased.

Thanks travellers!

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 28 June 2022, 15:57

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If it's a night train, it may be a good idea to have a reservation. You can get an idea of the number of free seats when you start a normal booking on www.vr.fi and use the seat selection.

If you're thinking about booking via Interrail: don't. For Finnish reservations, they only have the option of delivery by post and that currently takes an awful long time and costs an extra 9€ per order (and it is on top of the 2€ booking fee per person and train). Instead, book at a Finnish station or call VR (scroll down to Finland).

By the way, there are also sleeping compartments in these night trains. Book them via VR (station or by phone).

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Was in FI recently myself and was told that NO RES are needed for Passes. BUT as all local tix have included RES-and seats are not marked-it means that @ every stop someone can come and send you away. It may even happen that the seat you are on is ´sold´ to a Finn only later from a stop onward-this will of course not show on a seatplan. There have been several discussions about it and thus I strongly advise you to try again-VR only has now a very few staffed counters-and these have very limited hours-as about all normal things are done via web and fone there. Sleepers are of course more comfy-but I doubt there are still free a day or 2 ahead in busy hi-season

The trains as such are really very good and comfy there

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Was in FI recently myself and was told that NO RES are needed for Passes. BUT as all local tix have included RES-and seats are not marked-it means that @ every stop someone can come and send you away. It may even happen that the seat you are on is ´sold´ to a Finn only later from a stop onward-this will of course not show on a seatplan.

Sure it will, unless it is a new reservation, sold after you looked at the seat plan.