Oslo Trondheim line problem

• 27 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi! 

I'm planning my journey in Norway for March.

My idea is to do:
Oslo ->Trondheim in a travel day, and eventually catch the Trondheim ->Bodoe at 23.05

Then few days later :  
Trondheim ->Oslo in a travel day

Due to the collapse of the bridge on the route between Oslo and Trondheim scheduling the travel from one city to another has become difficult. The only solution suggested by the rail planner is to spend the night in Ringebu, but watching the time-schedule on the SJ website opened other possibilities.

On the way to go traveling Saturday or Sunday:

Oslo ->Faavang ..substitutive bus Faavang->Ringebu ... Ringebu -> Trondheim (I don't know if the bus travel is covered by interrail in this case)

Taking the only daily train passing Oslo ->Trondheim passing from Roeros with a high-risk arrival at  22.27

Returning in Thursday:

Ringebu -> Trondheim ..sostitutive bus Ringebu-> Faavang ... Oslo ->Faavang

Give Up and buy a ticket bus

Unfortunately, some trains require booking so a can't cross my fingers and improvise when the day arrives.

Does anyone have experience if delays and cancellations are common on this rail or know the best route to go for?

would be easier to reach Trondheim passing from Stockholm?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Looking at the schedules there are several daily connections Oslo - Trondheim with replacement bus in the middle, this is covered by interrail pass.

Do not rely on the railplanner app for schedules, use www.entur.no instead, this site can also be used to reserve seats by adding interrail as discount.

Oslo 14.02 - Trondheim 21.31 seems like the best option for connection to the Bodo train, there are earlier options. Be aware that only rail replacement buses, on this route those listed with route F6 are valid with your pass. Other connections with regular bus routes are shown which are numbered VY---, these are not valid and will have to be paid separately.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

These replacement busses are very broadly timed, and both trains and busses wait for each other and included in your pass.

You really don’t have to worry about this one, save for a bit of extra travel time than usual. (Which will be very clearly mentioned on www.entur.no ).

Damage to the bridge is significant, but less serious than first thought. So repair works will take less time than expected. Somewhere in spring, it should be fixed. No concrete timing yet though. So there’s a chance you won’t have to worry about this (but I wouldn’t count on it). - (Source is from last weeks news.)

So it’s still relatively far away in train terms, so probably you’re a bit to early to reserve seats on the train(s) via www.entur.no . Guess it’ll be available from the beginning of January. From then you’ll be able to reserve and find more information.

Looking at the schedules there are several daily connections Oslo - Trondheim with replacement bus in the middle, this is covered by interrail pass.

Do not rely on the railplanner app for schedules, use www.entur.no instead, this site can also be used to reserve seats by adding interrail as discount.

Oslo 14.02 - Trondheim 21.31 seems like the best option for connection to the Bodo train, there are earlier options. Be aware that only rail replacement buses, on this route those listed with route F6 are valid with your pass. Other connections with regular bus routes are shown which are numbered VY---, these are not valid and will have to be paid separately.

Thank you, I will look at the schedules to plan the trip then.

These replacement busses are very broadly timed, and both trains and busses wait for each other and included in your pass.

You really don’t have to worry about this one, save for a bit of extra travel time than usual. (Which will be very clearly mentioned on www.entur.no ).

Damage to the bridge is significant, but less serious than first thought. So repair works will take less time than expected. Somewhere in spring, it should be fixed. No concrete timing yet though. So there’s a chance you won’t have to worry about this (but I wouldn’t count on it). - (Source is from last weeks news.)

So it’s still relatively far away in train terms, so probably you’re a bit to early to reserve seats on the train(s) via www.entur.no . Guess it’ll be available from the beginning of January. From then you’ll be able to reserve and find more information.

Thanks that's a relief, guess I'll wait another month to make the reservations.